I don't know what the heck is going on with Josh Hamilton, but I know that I still don't trust him as a fantasy owner. His numbers are great, he's insanely talented ... and he's always seemed too risky for me. I'll pass again on draft day next year.
Yeah, Ross Detwiler! The southpaw's excellent outing on Thursday raised our streaming starter record to 66-43 for the season. The weekend picks are San Diego's Clayton Richard (owned in 6.6 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) at PETCO against the Mets tonight, fellow Padre Edinson Volquez (20.4 percent owned) versus the Mets on Saturday, and Atlanta's Kris Medlen (1.5 percent owned) against the terrible Astros on Sunday.
On to the news:
- Nationals OF Jayson Werth had a hit and an RBI in his return to the lineup last night following a three-month absence. Start Werth if you have him.
- Lost in Thursday's stellar outing from Minnesota's Samuel Deduno was a pretty good effort from opposing pitcher Jon Lester. Read this Boston Herald item about Lester, who might finally be turning things around.
- As for Deduno, well, he's posted a 2.48 ERA in five starts for the Twins. He also has 19 strikeouts against 20 walks in 29 innings over that span. This is going to get ugly soon.
- Braves SP Mike Minor had his start cut short last night because of a rain delay. If you own Minor, you were probably wondering when you saw his three-and-two-thirds scoreless innings.
- The A's have called up minor-league strikeout leader Dan Straily to start tonight against the Blue Jays. Strally has a 2.60 ERA between Double A and Triple A this season. Athletics Nation has a brief but helpful writeup on Straily, who's worth a pickup in AL-only leagues. He takes Travis Blackley's place in the A's rotation, which has my AL keeper league clubhouse incensed.
- It sounds like the terrible Jeff Francoeur will be back in the Royals' lineup this weekend after a four-game absence that's supposed to straighten him out. On a related note, prospect Wil Myers is batting .293 with 20 home runs and a .972 OPS in 68 games since being promoted to Triple A, but there hasn't been any news lately about a possible promotion. Am I missing something?
- Uh-oh. Lance Berkman's right knee is bothering him again. Stay tuned.
- Indians C Carlos Santana is batting .302 with six homers, 16 RBI and 11 runs in 20 games since the All-Star break. Raise your hand if you gave up on him.
- Rookie Mike Olt played first base and batted eighth for the Rangers last night. Dave Cameron at FanGraphs wonders if Olt will cut into Michael Young's playing time.
- Rays 3B Evan Longoria was 1-for-3 with a walk and two strikeouts last night in his latest rehab appearance (he rested on Tuesday and Wednesday). Longoria will be DHing whenever he's ready to return to Tampa ... and I have no idea when that will be.
- The Giants think that 3B Pablo Sandoval (hamstring) will be ready to come off the DL when eligible on August 9.
- Hey, Cliff Lee is on waivers! You know why? Because everybody gets put on waivers in August. Well, almost everybody, anyway. This stuff doesn't mean much, other than making it possible that an expensive guy could get traded.
- The Twins are hoping to get 3B Trevor Plouffe off the DL on Monday.
- Don't look for Reds 1B Joey Votto to return this weekend. As Dusty Baker noted, Votto still has to start running.
See you back here Monday morning.