The Rays and Red Sox are tied for the wildcard in the American League, with the Cardinals and Braves in the same situation in the NL. If they're tied after today, Thursday's one-game playoff games will count in most fantasy leagues. Look for the following pitching matchups:
- Braves (Brandon Beachy) at Cardinals (Kyle Lohse)
- Red Sox (John Lackey or Tim Wakefield) at Rays (probably Wade Davis or Matt Moore)
If you start the Lackey/Wakefield winner in a daily fantasy league, you've gotta be desperate, right?
On to the news:
- Cardinals OF Matt Holliday left last night's game after re-injuring his hand, and won't start tonight's game. It's possible that Holliday could pinch-hit, but it sounds like that hand is really hurting.
- Reds 2B Brandon Phillips left last night's game due to a strained left quad. Don't start him today unless you see him in the lineup.
- Jon Lester will start on short rest tonight against the Orioles. It's too bad the Red Sox didn't invest money in other pitchers. Wait a minute ...
- Matt Cain was supposed to pitch today for the Giants, but has been shut down for the season. Thanks, Bruce Bochy.
- Jered Weaver won't pitch tonight, either.
- Rays 1B Casey Kotchman missed last night's game due to tightness in his chest; he was hospitalized, but later released after all tests came back negative. Kotchman might play tonight, but we won't know until game time approaches.
- Yesterday, the Mets said that OF Jason Bay was "probably done" for the season due to a sinus infection. Last night, Bay made a pinch-running appearance, because with expanded September rosters, where were they going to find another guy? Seriously, I have no idea if Bay will play today.
- Nationals 3B Ryan Zimmerman didn't play last night due to a hamstring injury, and won't play today, either.
- The Blue Jays aren't sure if DH Edwin Encarnacion (shoulder) will play today, but SS Yunel Escobar (elbow) definitely won't.
- Cole Hamels might make a relief appearance today for the Phillies.
- A's SS Cliff Pennington (oblique) isn't expected to play today unless it's as a pinch hitter.
- The Yankees will play their regulars tonight, but maybe not for the full nine innings.
- Twins OF Jason Kubel has been officially shut down due to a sprained foot.
- Indians SS Asdrubal Cabrera is done for the season, too. Don't these managers know that some of us have fantasy titles to win?
- Astros rookie OF J.D. Martinez is iffy for tonight due to a sore foot.
- Braves SS Alex Gonzalez isn't expected to play tonight after re-injuring his right calf. Jack Wilson will start in Gonzalez's place.
That's all for today. Thanks for reading these morning baseball posts all season, and enjoy the playoffs. We'll have our initial 2012 fantasy rankings done ready in a month or so. Who should be first overall: Matt Kemp, Ryan Braun or Jacoby Ellsbury?
See you back here Friday morning with a new football post.