U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor sat with the Yankee Stadium Bleacher Creatures to cheer on her hometown Yanks yesterday. I wonder if she joined in on the fine bleacher tradition of spewing profanity toward the opposing right fielder for nine innings. What rhymes with "Markakis?"
Mike Fiers mowed down the Astros to raise our streaming starter record to 65-43. Today's pick is Ross Detwiler (owned in 17.6 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the Phillies, while Friday's selection is San Diego's Clayton Richard (5.6 percent owned) at PETCO versus the Mets.
On to the news:
- Reds 2B Brandon Phillips hasn't been placed on the DL with his strained calf, but the team doesn't know if he'll be ready to play this weekend. Injury limbo is really annoying, isn't it? Bench Phillips until you're sure he's playing.
- The Blue Jays don't seem to have a timetable on when OF Jose Bautista will come off the DL. He's eligible now, but apparently not too close to a return.
- The Marlins' website reports that OF Giancarlo Stanton is targeting a Tuesday return from the DL.
- The Mets are again considering the idea of pitching R.A. Dickey every fourth day. I wish I knew if this was a good thing or a bad thing for his fantasy owners.
- Don't get too excited about Ryan Lavarnway's promotion to the Red Sox. He won't be there for too long.
- Brett Wallace batted cleanup and hit two homers for the Astros last night? Is someone trying to play a trick on me?
- The Rangers have called up 3B prospect Mike Olt (27 HR, .974 OPS at Double A). Olt will be mainly a bench player for now, and while he's a good long-term keeper league target, there doesn't seem to be enough of a role for him in Texas this season - they're saying he'll play some, but not every day.
- The Blue Jays are considering adding lefty J.A. Happ to their rotation. Happ's strikeout rate has improved this season, but you should still stay away.
- Reminder: Look for closer Frank Francisco to come off the DL for the Mets this weekend. They'll probably activate him on Friday.
- Reds C Devin Mesoraco is on the seven-day concussion DL, and is appealing his three-game suspension for bumping an umpire.
- Greg Holland got his first save of the season last night for the Royals. He's still available in 96.2 percent of FOXSports.com leagues. What are you waiting for?
- The Rockies have called upAlex White to start today against the Cardinals. White has pitched well at Triple A lately, but you're not going to start him at Coors Field against the Cardinals.
- Royals OF Jeff Francoeur sat for the third straight game last night. When you get benched for Jarrod Dyson, you know something is wrong. Can someone remind me why Wil Myers is still at Triple A?
- The Indians have DFA'd SP Derek Lowe, and will start rookie Cory Kluber against the Royals today. Kluber isn't viewed as a top prospect, but he had a 3.59 ERA with more than a strikeout per inning at Triple A this season.
- Brett Anderson appears to be one or two rehab starts away from rejoining the A's.
- Last night's Phillies' outfield had Domonic Brown in left field, John Mayberry in center and Nate Schierholtz in right. Schierholtz could be interesting for NL-only leagues if he keeps playing, but it's only one game, so let's keep an eye on this situation.
- Giants' manager Bruce Bochy still appears supportive of closer Santiago Casilla. I hear a lot of frustration from Casilla's owners, but he should still be OK.
- John Baker is the Padres' starting catcher, at least for now. Zzz ...
- Cardinals SS Rafael Furcal (back) is still day-to-day.
- The Nationals expect to get 3B Ryan Zimmerman back in the lineup today.
- Thanks to some rotation juggling, Chris Sale will start again for the White Sox on Tuesday after getting 10 days of rest. Don't be too annoyed if you own Sale, as this is probably the best way to keep him effective.
See you back here tomorrow morning.