OF Jorge Soler is one of baseball's top prospects, and the Cubs hope he's part of the foundation when they start winning again. Last night, Soler tried to break up a double play, and apparently got angry when the opposing second baseman landed on top of him. A few minutes later, according to MiLB.com, Soler "re-emerged from the Cubs dugout with a bat, made his way toward the visitors' dugout and again traded words with members" of the Clearwater Threshers. If Soler is going to be an angry player, let's hope for the Cubs' sake he's more Albert Belle than Delmon Young.
Who's off today: Lots of teams, as there are only eight games. Here's the schedule.
First pitch: The Blue Jays and Tigers have another 1:08 p.m. ET start, while the Giants and Cubs begin NL action at Wrigley at 2:20.
Interleague DH issues: The White Sox started Adam Dunn in left field last night, and they said earlier this week that he'd play a game or two out there. We'll have to wait until this afternoon to find out if Dunn or Dayan Viciedo will start tonight against the Nationals.
Streaming starters: It's possible that I took the "target the Astros" thing a bit too far by picking the awful Blake Beavan as Wednesday's streaming starter. He got pummeled to drop our record to 5-4. Today's pick is Anaheim's Jason Vargas (owned in 23.7 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) at home against the A's, while Friday's selection is fellow Angel Tommy Hanson (17.2 percent owned) against the Astros. Carlos Villanueva had been today's pick, but he got bumped to Friday after a rainout, and we'll stay away from him.
On to the news:
- Flamethrowing Kelvin Herrera struck out the side to get the Royals' save last night. Royals manager Ned Yost said closer Greg Holland was just getting a rest after throwing 27 pitches on Tuesday, and he's still firmly in Holland's corner. If Herrera wasn't so awesome, I wouldn't give this much thought, but he is, so I am. Herrera is owned in 9.2 percent of FOXSports.com leagues. If you're speculating on saves and can wait awhile, grab him. The worst that can happen is him striking out a ton of guys while having a good ERA/WHIP. FANTASY NEWS Check out the latest
- Angels SS Erick Aybar might be headed to the DL due to a bruised left heel.
- Remember last month, when I called Red Sox closer Joel Hanrahan a ticking time bomb on, oh, seven or eight occasions? Hanrahan imploded last night, giving up five runs while missing the strike zone on 14 of his 32 pitches. It's a good thing his team's fans are the forgiving type.
- Red Sox DH David Ortiz (Achilles) moves his rehab assignment to Triple A Pawtucket today. Next Friday looks to be a possible activation date if all goes well.
- Braves C Evan Gattis - who was one of the subjects of Wednesday's Fantasy 15 podcast - can't be stopped!
- Reds' manager Dusty Baker said Wednesday that lefty Tony Cingriani will be the team's first callup if they need a starter at some point. Check out Cingriani's minor-league strikeout numbers when you get a chance.
- Nice 2013 debut for Dodgers SP Chad Billingsley, who's owned in just eight percent of FOXSports.com leagues.
- A's OF Josh Reddick (wrist) hopes to return to the lineup tonight. Snakebit teammate Scott Sizemore has retorn his left ACL and is done for the season. Utilityman Andy Parrino, who has shown just a little bit of pop as a minor leaguer, now appears to be Eric Sogard's platoon partner at second base.
- Pirates SP Wandy Rodriguez (hamstring) probably won't be able to make his Sunday start, but his status beyond that is uncertain.
- The positive progress continues for Padres 3B Chase Headley, who's on the verge of a rehab assignment.
- Mariners OF Michael Saunders might be headed for the DL with a shoulder injury. A Raul Ibanez/Jason Bay platoon seems likely to replace Saunders.
fantasy baseball news
and advice on FOXSports.com!
See you back here tomorrow morning.