The Alex Rodriguez-Brian Cashman story couldn't be more perfect for the New York tabloids. Who knew that A-Rod would get mixed up in a controversy shortly after joining Twitter? Oh, that's right - everybody.
First pitch: The Blue Jays and Rays get the AL day underway at 12:10 p.m. ET, while the Marlins begin NL action against the Twins at 12:40.
Interleague DH issues: Like yesterday, a half-dozen NL teams will use DHs in AL parks, but the only squad losing their DH is the Twins, who are in Miami. I'll bet you a nickel that Ryan Doumit is back in the Twins' lineup today, possibly even in place of Joe Mauer.
Streaming starters: Thanks for nothing, Joe Saunders. His Tuesday debacle dropped us to 47-27 for the season. Today's pick is John Lackey (owned in 17.3 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the Rockies, while Thursday's selection is Colorado's Tyler Chatwood (10.8 percent owned) versus the Mets.
On to the news:
- This article on the Brewers' injuries doesn't offer much optimism. Ryan Braun (hand) is still having trouble gripping a bat, and there's no timetable for his return. Corey Hart's left knee is interrupting the rehab for his right knee, and it's possible that he could miss the rest of the season. At least Carlos Gomez (shoulder) will probably return to the lineup sometime over the next few days.
- SS Jose Reyes will return to the Blue Jays' lineup today, while 3B Brett Lawrie will begin a rehab assignment today.
- Matt Kemp returned to the Dodgers' lineup last night. Check out this catch he made to end the game.
- Speaking of the Dodgers, don't read anything into lefty Paco Rodriguez saving that game. Kenley Jansen was unavailable after pitching three days in a row, and fill-in Brandon League allowed three consecutive hits before giving way to Rodriguez.
- Bryce Harper's first rehab game went well, and the Nationals are hoping to get him back on Monday. Teammate Ryan Zimmerman sat out last night with a sore shoulder, and appears to be day-to-day.
- Look for Indians SS Asdrubal Cabrera to be activated today.
- Want to get excited about a pitching prospect? Read this item about Cardinals' minor leaguer Carlos Martinez.
- Of course Mariners OF Franklin Gutierrez (hamstring) is back on the DL.
- The Padres will call up lefty Robbie Erlin to start tonight against the Phillies. Teammate Everth Cabrera is aiming for a Tuesday return from the DL.
- Michael Pineda might be one more start away from his Yankee debut. Act now, AL-only owners.
- Angels OF Peter Bourjos (thumb) hopes to return to the lineup tonight.
- Astros OF Justin Maxwell left Tuesday's game with a mild concussion. His status is TBD.
- Is Marlins SP Nathan Eovaldi throwing a lot harder this season?
- Don't expect to see 2B Brandon Phillips in the Reds' lineup until Friday.
- The Red Sox have sent 3B Will Middlebrooks to the minors. Like many American League pitchers, Middlebrooks is a casualty of Jose Iglesias' path of destruction.
- So, Brian Roberts had two hits in a rehab game last night, and hopes to rejoin the Orioles within a week? I feel like I've seen this movie a few times before, and it always ends in disappointment.
See you back here tomorrow morning.