I guess the tonic for any struggling team is a series with the Red Sox. The Angels swept three games in Boston, and they're still the last team I'd want to see in the playoffs.
Alex Cobb's shutout made this blog look pretty good for picking him yesterday, huh? With our streaming starter record at 81-50, the weekend selections are Patrick Corbin (owned in 7.3 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the Padres tonight, Jose Quintana (19.2 percent owned) against the Mariners on Saturday, and Jhoulys Chacin (1.6 percent owned) against the Cubs on Sunday. Hopefully, Chacin can be productive within the framework of his 75-pitch limit.
On to the news:
- Jose Bautista homered twice in a Double-A rehab game on Thursday, and is expected to return to the Blue Jays' lineup tonight. Get ready to start Joey Bats if you have him.
- CC Sabathia is apparently at full strength for his return from the DL tonight. Sabathia is back just in time for the Yankees, who put Ivan Nova (rotator cuff) on the DL yesterday, and will keep David Phelps in the rotation for a little while longer.
- Friend of the blog Adam Ronis noted on Twitter that Hanley Ramirez played his 20th game of the season at shortstop on Wednesday. He'll qualify there next season in all formats.
- Albert Pujols was scratched last night with a strained calf, and is day-to-day.
- Miguel Cabrera left Thursday's game in the second inning with an ankle injury, but it doesn't sound serious. He might DH tonight.
- Speaking of the Tigers, Doug Fister (groin) will be skipped in favor of Drew Smyly on Saturday. The Tigers are trying to keep Fister off the DL.
- Brandon Morrow will come off the DL to start on Saturday for the Blue Jays. I'm starting Morrow in an AL-only league, even though he'll reportedly be limited to around 85 pitches.
- David Ortiz's Achilles injury isn't completely gone yet, but he's going to try to play tonight, anyway.
- Rangers 1B/DH Michael Young left Thursday's game for the birth of his son, and could be on the paternity list for a few days. Don't start Young until you know he's playing.
- Sergio Romo got Thursday's save for the Giants after Jeremy Affeldt gave up a double and a walk. I still think Affeldt is the guy to own in this committee, though.
- The Phillies are expecting C Carlos Ruiz (foot) to return from the DL in early September.
- In the wake of Stephen Drew acquisition, the A's have sent Jemile Weeks to the minors and will play Cliff Pennington at second base. That's a lot of guys who can't hit.
- Denard Span returned to the lineup and stole two bases for the Twins on Thursday. That's not bad for a guy who was too claustrophobic to have an MRI two days earlier.
- Do you own Dodgers OF Andre Ethier? Then read this story about the giant blister on his hand affecting his hitting.
- Did you know that the Braves have won the last 16 games that Kris Medlen has started? If nobody gets hurt over the next week or so, who are they going to take out of their rotation?
See you back here Monday morning.