Those plucky Orioles just won't go away, will they?
In PETCO we trust! Clayton Richard's latest strong home outing raised our streaming starter record to 96-55 for the season. Today's (reluctant) pick is Minnesota's Liam Hendriks (owned in 0.7 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the Royals, while Friday's selection is San Diego's Andrew Cashner (1.6 percent owned) versus the Rockies.
On to the news:
- The Rangers suffered a couple of high-profile injuries last night, but neither seems serious. Adrian Beltre left the game with a shoulder issue, and although manager Ron Washington said, "hopefully it will only be one or two days," keep an eye out for an update today. Josh Hamilton also departed early due to a sore knee, but he's expected to play today, per the team's website.
- Derek Jeter aggravated a bruised left ankle last night, but says he'll play today. He always says that, though.
- With Aroldis Chapman on a brief vacation, you knew that rookie J.J. Hoover would start saving games for the Reds, right? Just kidding. Jonathan Broxton had saved Tuesday's game, and they didn't want him to pitch for a third straight day. There's nothing to see here - please move along.
- D-backs closer J.J. Putz is still dealing with back issues, so David Hernandez got his second consecutive save on Wednesday. Putz's condition seems to be improving, but it's not clear when he'll be ready to pitch again.
- Who needs Stephen Strasburg when you have John Lannan???
- The Nationals aren't sure when OF Mike Morse (wrist) will return to the lineup. It could be Friday, it could be Saturday ...
- Brewers OF Carlos Gomez is day-to-day after leaving Wednesday's game with a bruised quad. Did anyone out there bet on Gomez having 16 homers and 32 steals by mid-September? If that were a real wager, the odds would have been approximately a kajillion-to-one.
- Carlos Ruiz came off the DL on Tuesday for the Phillies, but will probably share catching duties with Eric (Johnny Bench) Kratz. The closer the Phils stay in the NL wildcard race, the more Ruiz is likely to play.
- The Dodgers are targeting a Tuesday return for closer Kenley Jansen (irregular heartbeat).
- Padres closer Huston Street (calf) pitched another simulated game on Wednesday, but his return date is still up in the air, because his injury causes issues when trying to cover first base. Meanwhile, Luke Gregerson has seven saves over the last 18 days, and is available in 98.1 percent of FOXSports.com leagues. Fantasy baseball can be a simple game sometimes.
- There are two afternoon games today, starting with Rays-Orioles at 12:35 p.m. ET. Set your lineups accordingly.
- Today, Adam Dunn? Maybe.
- Today, Desmond Jennings? Probably.
- The Pirates are still playing the waiting game with 2B Neil Walker (back). Your guess is as good as mine as to when he'll return.
- OF Denard Span (shoulder) is back in the Twins' lineup, but he's not completely healthy yet. He can play for AL-only owners.
- Speaking of AL-only, I'm in first place in my longtime AL keeper league, with tough battles in ERA and WHIP, and Zach McAllister starting tonight against the Rangers in Texas. In related news, I didn't sleep a wink last night.
- After last night's return, the Astros will slowly work SS Jed Lowrie back into their everyday lineup.
- Here's an interesting look at Giancarlo Stanton's power. Who wants to bet me that he'll hit 50 homers next season?
- Rockies C Ramon Hernandez is done for the season due to a hamstring injury. Fortunately, Wilin Rosario is still around to hit lots of home runs for his fantasy owners. Is Rosario a top-10 fantasy catcher for 2013? Hmm ...
See you back here tomorrow morning.