FOXSports.com's Jon Paul Morosi notes that after flying out against Yu Darvish last night, Tigers 3B Miguel Cabrera made a crack about a Japanese restaurant while jogging back to the dugout. Even though he's somewhat slimmer this season, I'm guessing that the only word Cabrera knows on a Japanese menu is tempura.
Edwin Jackson got knocked around yesterday, but Ricky Nolasco's effort was good enough to help fantasy owners with wins and Ks. With our streaming pitcher record at 12-6, the weekend picks are Edinson Volquez (owned in 4.7 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) tonight at PETCO against the Phillies, Seattle's Blake Beavan (1.1 percent owned) against the White Sox on Saturday, and Erik Bedard (4.9 percent owned) against the Cardinals on Sunday.
On to the news:
- Cardinals 1B Lance Berkman is headed to the DL after re-aggravating his calf injury. Matt Carpenter will be Berkman's replacement in St. Louis, and he's not a bad fantasy fill-in after hitting over .300 with 12 homers in each of his last two minor-league seasons. Carpenter qualifies at third base in FOXSports.com leagues, but should fit at first base by early next week. Of the other available first basemen on the wire, I've got my eye on Lucas Duda (21.8 percent owned), who offers similar 1B/OF flexibility. More outfielders were covered in Wednesday's post on Chris Young.
- The Rays expect to get B.J. Upton back from the DL tonight, and this article explains how the Rays will move people around in the wake of Upton's return. Rejoice if you're a fan of Upton's power, speed and low batting average.
- The Rays also claimed 1B Brandon Allen off waivers from the A's. The Rays like to use their whole roster, so owners of Carlos Pena and Luke Scott will want to keep their eyes on this situation. Allen is an interesting AL-only option.
- D-backs OF Justin Upton is still day-to-day with his bruised thumb. It doesn't sound like he'll need a trip to the DL.
- Last night's Angels' lineup had Mark Trumbo at DH and Kendrys Morales on the bench against A's lefty Tom Milone. Trumbo was shagging flies in the outfield before the game, and to get some playing time there, something will have to give. The bet here is that Vernon Wells will be the odd man out at some point.
- Twenty-one-year-old Drew Hutchison will make his first big-league start on Saturday for the Blue Jays. Hutchison is a solid keeper prospect, but don't expect much from him yet.
- Padres OF Carlos Quentin (knee) is getting close to a rehab assignment.
- I know it was against the Padres, but check out last night's tremendous start by Vance Worley. He's still available in 25.8 percent of FOXSports.com leagues.
- A's OF Coco Crisp missed another game on Thursday due to the flu. I'm no doctor, but can't teams with nine-figure budgets get some superpowered IV treatments for cases like this?
- There doesn't seem to be any news on whether Pirates' closer Joel Hanrahan (hamstring) will be ready to return tonight. If I see an update, I'll tweet it later.
- Dodgers 3B Juan Uribe missed Thursday's game due to a sore left wrist. His status for the weekend is TBD.
- Cubs 1B prospect Anthony Rizzo is on fire in Triple A. It's a good thing Bryan LaHair is hitting.
- Looking for an under-the-radar starter? Mike Minor is pitching very well for the Braves, and is owned in just 14.3 percent of FOXSports.com leagues.
See you back here tomorrow morning.