Yasiel Puig will not be in the All-Star Game. Can we stop talking about him for a few minutes now? What's that? He left Thursday's game with a hip injury and might not play tonight? %$#@!
First pitch: The Cardinals and Cubs play a 4:05 p.m. ET matinee at Wrigley, while AL action begins at 7:05.
Interleague DH issues: The White Sox lose their DH in Philly, but with Paul Konerko on the DL, this isn't much of an issue for fantasy owners. Either Conor Gillaspie or Jeff Keppinger figures to be out of the lineup.
Streaming starters: Yeah, Chris Capuano! We're up to 56-34 for the season.
The weekend picks are Corey Kluber (owned in 6.6 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the Royals on Friday, Randall Delgado (1 percent owned) versus the Brewers on Saturday, and Eric Stults (14.6 percent owned) against the Giants on Sunday.
On to the news:
- Brewers OF Ryan Braun has been placed on the bereavement list due to a "family medical situation." The earliest Braun could return is Sunday, and you might not see him until after the break.
- Braves OF Jason Heyward left Thursday's game with a hamstring strain. He said there's "no way" he'll play tonight, but is otherwise day-to-day.
- Ditto for Cardinals OF Matt Holliday, except that he didn't say anything about tonight.
- We should know today if Derek Jeter's tight quad is a serious issue.
- Confession: I only caught about 20 minutes of Sharknado on SyFy last night, but it was glorious. After seeing the Twitter reaction, I feel like I need to make time for the entire movie.
- Bad things from Thursday's Mariners' game: Erasmo Ramirez getting nuked in his first 2013 start, and Tom Wilhelmsen having another shaky outing. I'm worried about Wilhelmsen.
- Word on the street is that Padres 1B Yonder Alonso will come off the DL today.
- Remember Scott Baker? He'll make a rehab start Sunday as part of his recovery from Tommy John surgery, and is targeting an August return. Baker was one of three starters on my 2012 AL keeper league team to undergo TJ surgery - what are the odds of that?
- The Reds have placed C Ryan Hanigan (wrist) on the DL.
- Astros OF Justin Maxwell (concussion) might be activated for this weekend' series.
- Mariners 2B Nick Franklin (knee) didn't play Thursday, but hopes to return tonight.
- Rays SP Alex Cobb (concussion) is targeting an early August return, but there are many milestones he needs to reach before it happens.
- Speedy Rangers OF Craig Gentry (hand) could be ready to come off the DL right after the All-Star break. His path to playing time is shaky right now, though.
See you back here Monday morning.