It sounds like the Cubs and Rangers are getting close on a Matt Garza trade. As the trade deadline approaches, this blog will feature fantasy analysis of every notable deal, so stay tuned.
First pitch: No afternoon games today - both leagues get started shortly after 7 p.m. ET.
Interleague DH issues: Even with Freddie Freeman (finger) hoping to return to the lineup tonight, the Braves figure to have Evan Gattis in the lineup all weekend as they visit the White Sox..
Streaming starters: The weekend picks are Felix Doubront (owned in 10.8 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) tonight versus the terrible Yankees, Corey Kluber (10.4 percent owned) at Minnesota on Saturday, and Tyler Chatwood (10.3 percent owned) against the Cubs on Sunday.
On to the news:
- Clay Buchholz's shoulder was still sore after a Sunday bullpen session in Oakland, and the Red Sox shut him down over the break. Buchholz will be re-examined today, but his return timetable is a pretty big mystery right now.
- Speaking of the Red Sox, SS Stephen Drew is expected to come off the DL on Saturday.
- The Orioles are ready to promote OF Henry Urrutia, who has batted .365 with seven homers, 43 RBI, 45 runs and a .958 OPS across Double A and Triple A this season. According to both the Baltimore Sun and the O's website, Urrutia will serve as the team's lefty DH. AL-only owners might want to give him a look.
- In other Oriole/Cuban refugee news, the team signed "five-tool" OF Daniel Alvarez. Stash that name away in your memory bank, and let's see how he does in the minors.
- Johnny Giavotella's latest big chance with the Royals lasted exactly 34 at bats, as they sent him to the minors. The extremely unspectacular Chris Getz is returning to take Giavotella's place.
- Reports suggest that Zach McAllister (finger) could return to the Indians' rotation on Tuesday at Seattle.
- Angels SP Tommy Hanson (forearm) is targeting a Tuesday return. His teammate, OF Peter Bourjos, is apparently healing slowly from a wrist injury. He now hopes to play by early August.
- Rangers OF Craig Gentry (hand) is ready to come off the DL, but with Leonys Martin playing so well, Gentry will be hard-pressed to even step back into the righty half of a platoon.
- The Cubs are expected to promote speedy OF prospect Junior Lake tonight, but the team's website reports that his stay in Chicago could be brief, as David DeJesus hopes to return from the DL early next week.
- Don't be alarmed about Tony Cingrani's demotion to Triple A, as he's still expected to make his next start for the Reds on Tuesday.
- The Rockies say they won't trade OF Michael Cuddyer, whose name pops up in rumors on occasion.
- Reminder for Jose Fernandez owners: Your surprise ace will be shut down somewhere in the 150-170 innings range. He's at 104 2/3 now, and is averaging a shade under six innings per start.
- Hey now, Michael Pineda! See you in the Bronx soon.
- If Cardinals OF Matt Holliday (hamstring) can run full speed in a workout this afternoon, he'll come off the DL tonight.
- Rays SP Alex Cobb (concussion) is expected to make a rehab start on Tuesday, but his return timetable is TBD.
See you back here Monday morning.