How did you celebrate the Fourth of July? If it wasn't by jamming 69 hot dogs down your throat, you didn't try hard enough.
First pitch: The Pirates and Cubs start NL action at 4:05 p.m. ET, while the AL gets underway with a few games at 7:05.
Interleague DH issues: The Mariners are in Cincinnati, where they'll need to bench either Kendrys Morales (not likely) or Justin Smoak (you betcha).
Streaming starters: Dillon Gee's solid outing raised our record to 51-32. The weekend selections are Zack Wheeler (owned in 22.2 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) at Milwaukee on Friday, surprising Dodger Stephen Fife (5.6 percent owned) at San Francisco on Saturday, and recently struggling Indian Corey Kluber (7.2 percent owned) against the Tigers - yes, the Tigers - on Sunday.
On to the news:
- Rockies OF Carlos Gonzalez left Thursday's game after straining his upper back. CarGo said he expects to play today, but manager Walt Weiss called him day-to-day. Stay tuned, daily league owners.
- In related news, blogger John Halpin apparently aggravated a previous back injury by pulling kids in a red wagon to a fireworks show on Thursday evening. Halpin gutted out a blog post on Friday morning, but figures to spend the weekend resting and drinking to dull the pain. FANTASY NEWS Check out the latest
- Has anyone noticed that the recently recalled Tony Campana has led off and stolen a base for the Diamondbacks in each of the last two games? If he plays, he'll run. Pounce now, NL-only owners, and enjoy this ride while it lasts.
- Speaking of really fast guys, Padres SS Everth Cabrera will come off the DL today. Start him if you have him.
- Can someone let me know when Derek Jeter starts his minor-league rehab assignment, instead of telling me for the 20th time that he "feels close?" Thanks.
- Rookie Tyler Skaggs (0.6 percent owned) will be recalled to start tonight for the D-backs. I'm a fan, and would feel comfortable streaming him.
- The Red Sox hope to have SS Stephen Drew (hamstring) back in the lineup on Saturday.
- Two homers last night for Astros 1B/3B Brett Wallace. Interesting.
- We should know later today if Royals OF Alex Gordon has a concussion. His hip injury might keep him out of action for at least part of the weekend, anyway.
- This article looks at Michael Bourn's lower-than-usual stolen base total. Indians manager Terry Francona doesn't seem to mind, but Bourn's fantasy owners do.
- The Mets' website reports that 1B Ike Davis will be recalled from Triple A on Friday. Davis hit well at Las Vegas (.293 BA, 7 HR in 21 games), and according to the story, "the biggest change in his swing during his time in the minors was reducing a slight hitch that evidently impacted his timing." If that's a slight hitch, then Joey Chestnut has a slightly large appetite. FYI, Davis whiffed 18 times in those 21 games at Triple A. I was a big Davis booster in the preseason, but I need to see something before getting back on board.
- We talked yesterday about the Cubs being a soft opponent for Dan Straily, right?
- Orioles SP Wei-Yin Chen figures to come off the DL to start on Tuesday or Wednesday.
- The Rangers dropped SS Elvis Andrus to eighth in their batting order? That makes sense. Have I mentioned how overrated a fantasy player he is?
- Owners of Nationals 2B Anthony Rendon will like this quote from manager Davey Johnson about the still-struggling Danny Espinosa: "I think he’s got a misguided opinion that it’s okay if you hit .220 and hit 20 home runs." Espinosa is batting .088 at Triple A, with 34 strikeouts in 68 at bats. Seriously.
fantasy baseball news
and advice on FOXSports.com!
See you back here Monday morning.