Cliff Lee finally won a game! WOOOOOOOOOO!
Thanks to Baltimore's Chris Tillman for a terrific outing on Wednesday that raised our streaming starter record to 52-39. Today's pick is Edinson Volquez (owned in 10.5 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the Reds, while Friday's selection is Oakland's Tommy "Mayday" Milone (22.3 percent owned) against the Mariners. Did you know that Milone has a 0.99 ERA at home this season, and a 5.98 ERA on the road? Weird.
On to the news:
- The Astros have traded 1B Carlos Lee to the Marlins in exchange for 3B Matt Dominguez and pitching prospect Rob Rasmussen. This trade isn't a big deal in fantasy terms, as Lee's value essentially stays the same. The Marlins sent struggling 1B Gaby Sanchez to the minors to make room for Lee, and the deal just about ends Sanchez's chances to have any fantasy value for 2012.
- The Astros' website notes that the team has "several options at first base to replace Lee, including (Chris) Johnson, Scott Moore, Matt Downs and Brian Bixler." Moore (qualifies at 2B) and Downs (1B/2B/3B) can hit enough to be somewhat useful in NL-only leagues, but I wonder if they'll move Johnson to first base and give the light-hitting Dominguez (.234 BA, 7 HR, .647 OPS at Triple A this season) a chance to start at the hot corner.
- Red Sox 2B Dustin Pedroia re-injured his thumb on Tuesday. Pedroia sat out on Wednesday, and with the Sox off on Thursday, they hope he'll be ready for the weekend. Keep your fingers crossed.
- Dodgers SS Dee Gordon dislocated his right thumb while stealing his 30th base of the season last night. Gordon is expected to have an MRI today, so we'll know more soon.
- Speaking of the Dodgers, OF Andre Ethier (oblique) was finally placed on the DL yesterday. Because the DL stint can be backdated, Ethier will be eligible to return immediately after the All-Star break.
- Marlins' slugger Giancarlo Stanton will miss another game today due to a sore knee, and his status for the weekend is TBD. I'm going to be really mad if Stanton misses next week's Home Run Derby.
- Diamondbacks SP Joe Saunders (shoulder) is scheduled to make a rehab start on Sunday, and if all goes well he'll rejoin the rotation after the All-Star break.
- Three day games are included on today's schedule, including Twins-Tigers at 1:05 p.m. ET. Set your lineups accordingly.
- The White Sox don't seem to be worried about Chris Sale's workload, as he's expected to start in the first series after the All-Star break. I fear bad things here, and will expand on that during next week's fantasy hiatus/All-Star break.
- The Rangers will skip Yu Darvish's turn on Friday.
- As expected, the Padres placed SP Andrew Cashner on the DL with a strained lat muscle. Ross Ohlendorf will start in Cashner's place on Sunday.
- The Pirates aren't yet sure if they'll put OF Alex Presley on the seven-day concussion DL. Presley sat out on Wednesday.
- The Twins sent SP Nick Blackburn (8.10 ERA) to the minors? Now THAT makes sense.
- Dan Haren's back won't be examined until later today, but he's unlikely to make his scheduled start on Sunday.
- Reds 3B Scott Rolen has missed four straight games due to back spasms, and a DL stint is possible. Rolen's fragility is why Todd Frazier owners should be patient.
- Cubs SP Ryan Dempster is lobbying to come off the DL to start Sunday instead of waiting until after the All-Star break. We might hear news on this later today.
- This Braves notebook mentions that 1B Freddie Freeman will get two cortisone shots in his left index finger next week in an effort to get him through the rest of the season. Freeman had one homer with a .697 OPS in June, and it looks like you'll need to wait until next season for his breakout.
See you back here tomorrow morning.