Thirteen strikeouts in five innings, Zack Greinke? I guess that's not bad.
Edinson Volquez's latest PETCO-riffic outing last night raised the streaming starter record to 103-60 for the season. Today's pick is San Diego's Clayton Richard (owned in 10.5 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the Dodgers, while Thursday's selection is Pittsburgh's Kevin Correia (9 percent owned) at CitiField versus the Mets.
On to the news:
- Aroldis Chapman got his first save in three weeks last night against the Brewers. Chapman won't be worked too hard as the Reds prepare for the playoffs, but he should get most of the save opportunities over the next week.
- The Yankees and Twins lead off today's schedule at 1:10 p.m. ET, while the Dodgers and Padres have a West Coast afternoon game at 6:35 p.m. ET. Set your lineups accordingly.
- Hey, the Braves won a Kris Medlen start. That never happens!
- The Rangers scratched Yu Darvish from Tuesday's start because of a stiff neck. The injury isn't serious, but the team's website says that it's "unlikely" Darvish will start more between now and the end of the season as they set their rotation for the playoffs. Sunday seems like the best bet.
- The Dodgers plan to get ace Clayton Kershaw (hip) back on the mound Friday against the Rockies.
- Twins OF Josh Willingham sat last night with a sprained shoulder, and is expected to miss today's game as well.
- In other Twins' news, manager Ron Gardenhire said Tuesday that even though Matt Capps is active again, Glen Perkins will stay in the closer role.
- Braves OF Michael Bourn is expected to return to the lineup tonight after missing a few games with a jammed thumb.
- David Freese's sprained ankle kept him out of the lineup again last night, and he figures to miss tonight's game as well. The Cardinals are off on Thursday, so hopefully Freese will be rested enough to play this weekend.
- Orioles OF Lew Ford - who I think was on one of my 1992 fantasy teams - missed his second straight game last night due to a groin injury. I'm sure the O's will find another retread outfielder to drive in tonight's winning run.
- It sounds like Rockies OF Dexter Fowler (wrist) won't be available for anything other than defensive and pinch-running duties for the rest of the season.
- The surging Ervin Santana will pitch for the Angels against the Rangers on Saturday. Rangers or not, grab and start Santana if you can.
- Desperate for some AL-only steals? The Yankees have activated Brett Gardner to be the world's best pinch runner.
- Speaking of pinch runners, Coco Crisp stole a base in that role last night. Crisp can apparently see out of one eye now, but it's not clear when he'll be ready to hit.
- The Phillies are targeting Saturday for Roy Halladay's final start of 2012. I'm pretty sure he won't be my top-ranked fantasy starter again in 2013.
- The red-hot Justin Smoak hit two more homers last night. Didn't we tell you to pick him up in this week's edition of Free Agent Frenzy?
- Mike Morse's owners should know that he's playing with an injured wrist right now. Waiting for his power to return this season might be a bad idea.
See you back here tomorrow morning with another baseball post, though you should expect it closer to noon ET than the usual 8 a.m.