Rockies reliever Josh Outman apparently contracted food poisoning recently, and vomited so fiercely that he strained an oblique and was placed on the disabled list. I won't joke about Outman's plight, since it must have been miserable for him, but this is an early front-runner for injury of the year.
On to the news:
- Red Sox closer Andrew Bailey will have thumb surgery today and miss 3-5 months. If you own Bailey in a redraft league, you can cut him unless you have a deep bench or a DL spot. Mark Melancon (owned in 12.9 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) and Alfredo Aceves (6.5 percent) are the likely replacements, while manager Bobby Valentine doesn't seem inclined to move Daniel Bard back to the bullpen right now. The money here is still on Melancon, unless the Sox want to re-sign Byung-Hyun Kim. Yes, that's a joke.
- Rays closer Kyle Farnsworth appears headed to the DL due to a sore elbow. The Rays' website says that Farnsworth's injury "likely leaves the Rays' ninth inning to Joel Peralta, Fernando Rodney or both." Peralta is the first guy I'd grab, but Rays manager Joe Maddon has employed committees in the past, so don't count on anything conventional.
- Here's an update on Diamondbacks SS Stephen Drew, who doesn't sound close to making his 2012 debut.
- Cubs 1B Bryan LaHair was rested on Tuesday due to lower back tightness. He might miss Thursday's opener, but should be back by the weekend.
- It sounds like the Giants are planning to go with Brandon Belt at first base and Aubrey Huff in left field. Good for Belt, who deserves a fair chance.
- The Rockies will open the season with Marco Scutaro leading off, and OF Dexter Fowler batting second. I swear, if they jerk Fowler around again ...
- Hey, there's a real game tonight - the Cardinals visit the Marlins in Miami's brand new stadium. I'll be watching, if only to see the aquarium behind home plate and this weird thing every time the Marlins hit a homer.
- Astros OF Jordan Schafer (hand) has been out for a couple of weeks, but might be ready for Opening Day.
- Did you miss my chat yesterday? Here's the replay if you'd like to read it. I'll be in the FOXSports.com fantasy chat room every Tuesday at 2 p.m. ET.
- Remember when everyone was worried about Chris Perez's oblique injury a few weeks ago? The Indians' closer will be ready for Opening Day.
- The Angels have sent catcher Hank Conger back to Triple A, because they still have an aversion to catchers that can hit. Yes, I know they're starting Chris Iannetta. I drafted Conger in my AL-only league, and I'm bitter.
- After missing four weeks of spring training due to knee surgery, Brewers OF Corey Hart is expected to be in the lineup for Friday's opener.
- Twins 2B Alexi Casilla (knee) plans to play on Opening Day after missing a few days.
- The MRI on Frank Francisco's knee didn't show anything bad, and he'll be ready to close for the Mets on Thursday.
- The Yankees will begin figuring out Michael Pineda's rehab schedule today, but it sounds like they don't expect him to miss a lot of time. If you haven't drafted yet, don't knock Pineda down too far on your draftboard. If you have drafted, it might be time to buy low on Pineda from a panicked owner. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I see opportunity here. I'm still worried about Pineda, but some people seem to be completely writing him off for 2012, and that's an overreaction.
- A's 1B Daric Barton is on the DL, but he could return as soon as Monday to resume his competition with Brandon Allen and Kila Ka'aihue.
- Here's an update on Chase Utley's rehab, which is pretty, um, vague.
- This column suggests that SP Edinson Volquez could be rejuvenated by his new home in PETCO Park. I've been thinking the same thing, and would like to note that Volquez is owned in just 2.9 percent of FOXSports.com leagues.
- After an awful spring, Blue Jays SP Brett Cecil has been sent to the minors. Rookies Joel Carreno and Kyle Drabek will be in the Jays' rotation, and should be avoided outside of AL-only leagues.
- Rehabbing Nationals closer Drew Storen is still aiming for a mid-April return. Teammate John Lannan has been sent to Triple A, with Ross Detwiler winning the fifth-starter slot.
- Are the White Sox really considering rookie lefty Hector Santiago as their closer? Good grief, I wish Robin Ventura would make up his mind.
- With most teams opening their seasons on Thursday and Friday, please note that I'll have a streaming pitcher selection in this blog every weekday starting tomorrow, with weekend picks posted on Fridays.
See you back here tomorrow with more news and some 2012 predictions.
Check out more Fantasy Baseball News and Notes.