Did anyone out there take Aaron Hernandez in an early fantasy football draft? That guy is in some trouble.
First pitch: The Astros and Cubs have a 2:20 p.m. ET start at Wrigley Field.
Interleague DH issues: The Astros will need to bench Chris Carter, Carlos Pena or one of their outfielders during their games in Chicago. Lance Berkman figures to see pinch-hitting duty while the Rangers are in St. Louis this weekend.
Streaming starters: Thanks for that big, fat stinker of a game, Tommy Hanson. We're down to 44-25 for the season.
The weekend picks are Ricky Nolasco (owned in 8.8 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) tonight, Cleveland's surging Corey Kluber (9 percent owned) versus the Twins on Saturday, and San Diego's Andrew Cashner (20.2 percent owned) against the Dodgers on Sunday.
On to the news:
- Andrew Bailey had another rough outing last night, and has lost the Red Sox closer's job, at least for now. Junichi Tazawa's is owned in just 2.6 percent of FOXSports.com leagues, while Koji Uehara is 2.2 percent owned, and Andrew Miller - mentioned as a possibility by Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe - is 0.2 percent owned. The bet here is on Tazawa - go get him.
- Rangers 1B Mitch Moreland is expected to return to the lineup tonight after a two-week DL stint. Start him if you have him. Teammate Yu Darvish will make his next start on Tuesday, instead of Sunday as previously scheduled. Nothing to worry about there.
- It's possible that Phillies 2B Chase Utley (oblique) will come off the DL in time for tonight's game against the Mets. Watch for the Phils' lineup card this afternoon if you own Utley.
- Here's an article about how Joaquin Benoit is once again kinda sorta the Tigers' closer. According to the Detroit News, manager Jim Leyland says Benoit will close "he is able to pitch, hasn’t closed too much, hasn’t been overused and we have a chance to win the game." As my guest Craig Mish suggested on Wednesday's Fantasy 15 podcast, a trade might be coming.
- It sounds like Giants OF Angel Pagan re-injured his hamstring last night during a rehab appearance; we should know more today about his status. Teammate Chad Gaudin left last night's game after being hit in the forearm by a line drive, and his status for his next start is TBD.
- Reminder: If Jose Reyes' rehab games go well this weekend, we could see him in the Blue Jays' lineup on Monday.
- It's starting to sound like Bryce Harper will come off the DL next week if there are no setbacks in his rehab. That's an educated guess, not based on specific info from the Nats.
- Fireballing Rays' youngster Alex Colome will start in place of Alex Cobb (concussion) against the Yankees on Saturday.
- Back stiffness has slowed Chris Carpenter's rehab. Stay tuned.
- This article notes that Padres 2B Jedd Gyorko is targeting a Tuesday return from the DL, and also has updates on Carlos Quentin, Everth Cabrera and Yonder Alonso.
- Mets SP Jon Niese left Thursday's game due to a shoulder injury. Uh-oh.
- It "could be awhile" before Ryan Braun comes off the DL, and the pain in his hand might not go away until the offseason? What the ...
- The Rockies are trying to determine of Dexter Fowler's finger injury will require a DL stint. Keep your fingers crosses - HA! - if you own Fowler.
- Braves 2B Dan Uggla might need LASIK surgery? Good grief.
See you back here Monday morning.