Mike Trout was only 1-for-5 with a homer on his 21st birthday? Slacker.
Ross Detwiler was pretty good last night against the Astros, raising our streaming starter record to 70-44 on the season. Today's pick is Clayton Richard (owned in 9.9 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the Cubs at PETCO, while Thursday's selection is Cincinnati's Mike Leake (4 percent owned) versus the Astros in Houston.
On to the news:
- Jeremy Affeldt got a four-out save last night for the Giants. Manager Bruce Bochy said Tuesday that for now, the final six outs of games will be handled by Affeldt, Sergio Romo and Javier Lopez. It's hard to say how much Santiago Casilla's recent blister issues factor into this situation, but this is a committee with Affeldt (0.4 percent owned) and Romo (3.9 percent owned) sharing the chairmanship.
- Blue Jays OF Jose Bautista will undergo an MRI this week after feeling more soreness in his injured left wrist. Bautista's rehab efforts were shut down last week, and there's no return date on his calendar right now. If you own Bautista, don't count on him coming back anytime soon, if at all.
- In other Jays' news, 3B Brett Lawrie is still day-to-day with a rib injury. According to the team's website, manager John Farrell thought Lawrie would play Tuesday, but needed "at least another day" to recover.
- David Ortiz's latest target date to come off the DL is Sunday.
- There are five afternoon games on today's schedule, including Twins-Indians at 12:05 p.m. ET, Set your lineups accordingly.
- Evan Longoria's return to the Rays' lineup means we're looking at a Carlos Pena-Jeff Keppinger platoon at first base. If you still own Pena, this means that his terrible batting average won't get as many opportunities to hurt you.
- White Sox 3B Kevin Youkilis (knee) and OF Alejandro De Aza (back) sat out on Tuesday, and might rest today as well.
- Nationals OF Jayson Werth didn't play Tuesday due to sore legs, and is day-to-day. His legs are apparently fatigued after missing 75 games due to a wrist injury. Yes, you read that correctly.
- Tigers OF Andy Dirks is 6-for-11 since coming off the DL last Friday, and appears to have relegated Quintin Berry to a part-time role.
- The Mike Fiers bandwagon is pretty crowded, but even after his latest impressive outing, he's available in more than half of FOXSports.com leagues.
- If the Twins decide to skip a rehab assignment for 3B Trevor Plouffe, he could come off the DL as soon as Friday.
- Astros OF Jordan Schafer is on the DL due to a separated shoulder. Look for Brandon Barnes (.319 BA, 5 HR, 14 SB at Triple A) to get much of the playing time in Schafer's absence.
- After getting more good news on Tuesday, the Marlins expect speedy Emilio Bonifacio to come off the DL on August 19, which is the day he's eligible. I hope you didn't waive Bonifacio when you heard the weekend rumors that he was done for the season.
- It sounds like the Reds are tentatively targeting a Tuesday return for 1B Joey Votto.
- Braves SP Tommy Hanson (back) is looking to throw a bullpen session on Friday, with an eye toward an August 15 return.
See you back here tomorrow morning.