Remember yesterday when I wrote that I was tempted to pick Bryce Harper for National League MVP? He's on pace for 324 home runs, so maybe I should ask for a do-over.
Who's off: There are only seven games today, so listing the off-day teams wouldn't help you much. Check the schedule.
First pitch: The 3:10 p.m. ET Orioles-Rays game is the first American League start, while NL action gets underway with Rockies-Brewers at 8:10.
Interleague DH issues: None
Streaming starters: Vance Worley wasn't terrible on Monday, but he wasn't good enough, so our record is 0-1. Today's pick is Oriole ace Jason Hammel (owned in 18.8 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the Rays, while Wednesday's selection is Braves' crafty lefty Paul Maholm (19.4 percent owned) versus the Phillies.
On to the news:
- After going strikeout-HBP-single-walk, Cubs closer Carlos Marmol was yanked Monday in favor of lefty James Russell, who got one out before giving way to Kyuji Fujikawa for the save. Although manager Dale Sveum said "we're not making any changes or anything like that" after the game, Marmol appears to be a heavy favorite to be the first closer to lose his job this season. Fujikawa is owned in 10.5 percent of FOXSports.com leagues, and it's only a matter of time before his saves come without waiting for Marmol's screwups. Grab him while you can.
- As expected, the Tigers played the matchup game with their Opening Day save. After pitching the eighth inning, Joaquin Benoit stayed on to get the first out of the ninth. Lefty Phil Coke came in to whiff Justin Morneau, and remained to get Ryan Doumit. For as long as the Tigers use a committee, Coke will be the leader due to his southpawiness.
- Reds OF Ryan Ludwick left Monday's game with a dislocated shoulder, and will have an MRI today. Look for Chris Heisey to get most of the playing time in Ludwick's absence, perhaps with some Xavier Paul mixed in.
- The Los Angeles Times reported Monday that Angels' closer Ryan Madson (elbow) hopes to throw a bullpen session this week. Ernesto Frieri got the first save in Madson's absence, and should rack them up for awhile.
- Phillies 2B Chase Utley is off to a good start. Before you get too excited, remember that Utley's problem is staying in the lineup - he averaged 99 games from 2010-12.
- The Diamondbacks hope to get OF Cody Ross (calf) off the DL on Monday.
- Orioles 3B Manny Machado will bat second today against David Price, but figures to be lower in the order versus righthanders.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy said Monday that the playing time in his Andres Torres-Gregor Blanco left-field platoon will be given to "whoever's the hottest with the bat."
- The Cardinals expect 3B David Freese (back) to come off the DL on Monday.
- The Blue Jays hope that 3B Brett Lawrie will appear in a minor-league game this weekend. A return next week is a possibility.
See you back here tomorrow morning.