Congratulations to the Pirates, who just ensured their first winning season since 1992. I hope the fans didn't burn the city down during the postgame celebration.
First pitch: The Mets and Braves get the NL schedule underway at 12:10 p.m. ET, while the Twins and Astros start the AL day at 2:10.
Interleague DH issues: One more day in Arizona for the Blue Jays probably means one more day on the bench for Adam Lind, unless they decide to give Edwin Encarnacion a day off. Lind had a pinch-hit homer last night, so his off day was pretty good.
Streaming starters: Jason Vargas got shellacked to drop our record to 88-52. Today's pick is Taijuan Walker (owned in 7.8 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) at Kansas City, while Thursday's selection is A's rookie Sonny Gray (12.9 percent owned) versus the Astros.
On to the rest of the news:
- Red Sox OF Jacoby Ellsbury got Tuesday off because of a bruised left thumb. Red Sox manager John Farrell said, "We fully expect it to be something he’ll manage the rest of the way ... I don’t think it’s going to be gone overnight." If the Red Sox extend their AL East lead, Ellsbury could be in line for more time off.
- Dodgers OF Yasiel Puig (knee) was held out last night, and is day-to-day. Teammate Matt Kemp probably won't come off the DL this week.
- Miggy's back! Wooooo!
- With lefty prospect James Paxton's promotion, the Mariners will go to a six-man rotation for the time being, and limit Hisashi Iwakuma to three more starts.
- With Justin Masterson (oblique) scheduled to miss at least one start, the Indians will send Corey Kluber to the mound on Saturday, instead of for his originally-planned Friday relief appearance. You probably shouldn't count on Masterson for anything over the rest of the season.
- Look for Bryce Harper to get today off.
- The Rockies have activated OF Carlos Gonzalez, but it doesn't sound like he's going to play much. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you can waive CarGo in mixed leagues unless you have a bench to stash him on.
- Padres' righty Burch Smith (2.63 ERA, 102 K in 92 1/3 IP between Double A and Triple A this season) will be called up to start against the Rockies on Friday. NL-only owners can consider Smith for a spot start.
- Note: With minor-league seasons ending, lots of players are about to get called up. We're not going to analyze all of them here - just the ones that might help you.
- The Phillies might give Chase Utley and Jimmy Rollins some off days down the stretch. That could get annoying for daily leaguers.
- David Huff has replaced Phil Hughes in the Yankee rotation, and will start Saturday against the Red Sox. Remember when the Yankees boasted the awesome pitching prospect trio of Hughes, Joba Chamberlain and Ian Kennedy? Sigh ...
- Look for Ryan Doumit (concussion) to return to the Twins' lineup today.
- Astros C Jason Castro (knee) is day-to-day, and that's good news.
- Chris Coghlan led off and played third base for the Marlins last night, and it sounds like he'll get plenty of playing time. You can consider Coghlan if you're desperate for an NL-only outfielder - he's not yet eligible at third base.
See you back here tomorrow morning.