Michael Wacha was soooooooo close to that no-hitter last night. Watch the infield hit by Ryan Zimmerman - it's eerily similar to the final out in For Love of the Game, when Billy Chapel got his no-hitter before heading to the airport to make sure Kelly Preston didn't get on that flight to London. Or am I the only one who actually watched that movie?
First pitch: The Mets and Reds get NL action started at 12:35 p.m. ET, while the A's and Angels start the AL day at 3:35.
Interleague DH issues: David Ortiz started at first base last night for the Red Sox in Colorado. I wonder if he'll get tonight off.
Streaming starters: Tyson Ross didn't win last night, but he pitched very well to raise our record to 103-59. Today's pick is Indians' rookie Danny Salazar (owned in 9.3 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) versus the White Sox, while Thursday's selection is underrated Met Dillon Gee (20.6 percent owned) against the Brewers. Did you know that Gee has a 2.49 ERA over his last 10 starts?
On to the rest of the news:
- Red Sox OF Jacoby Ellsbury (foot) is expected to return to the lineup tonight for the first time in three weeks. Look for Ellsbury to be removed after three at bats.
- Indians OF Michael Bourn left Tuesday's game with a right wrist injury. Stay tuned.
- The Giants have shut down SP Madison Bumgarner and 2B Marco Scutaro.
- Brewers SS Jean Segura's hamstring didn't feel so well during a Tuesday running drill, and his chances of returning this weekend are very iffy.
- The Rockies are hoping to get C Wilin Rosario (calf) back for this weekend's series against the Dodgers.
- Cardinals OF Matt Holliday missed another game Wednesday due to back spasms, and is still day-to-day.
- Rays SS Yunel Escobar is day-to-day after leaving Tuesday's game with an ankle injury.
- Good news: Manny Machado's knee injury isn't as bad as many feared.
- The Dodgers' website describes manager Don Mattingly as "optimistic" and "hopeful" that OF Andre Ethier (ankle) will be able to play two or three games before the regular season ends.
- Blue Jays OF Moises Sierra is day-to-day with a sprained ankle, which may literally leave the Blue Jays with two outfielders today. It's a good thing that Anthony Gose is really fast, since he'll be starting in center-left field tonight.
- See you next year, Jeff Keppinger.
- Jhonny Peralta's PED suspension ends in time for him to return to the Tigers this weekend. If Jose Iglesias' hand doesn't improve, Peralta might play shorstop.
- Trevor Rosenthal got another save last night for the Cardinals. He's owned in five percent of FOXSports.com leagues.
- The Padres are still hoping to get OF Will Venable (abdominal injury) back this week.
- The Yankees are activating DH Travis Hafner today? Wildcard, here we come!
- The Reds aren't sure if Billy Hamilton will be on their playoff roster? Aside from Miguel Cabrera and a few Dodgers, I don't think there's a player I want to see more in October.
See you back here tomorrow morning.