Hi, everyone. Did the Giants turn the ball over 47 times last night, or I was I just having a horrible football nightmare?
First pitch: Both leagues start up shortly after 7 p.m. ET.
Interleague DH issues: The Pirates are expected to use Garrett Jones as their DH tonight in Texas. Tuesday might be different with lefty Martin Perez on the mound. Maybe Gaby Sanchez?
Streaming starters: Zack Wheeler wasn't too good for us on Friday, Tyson Ross continued his strong pitching with seven shutout innings on Saturday, and Danny Salazar was pretty good on Sunday, but didn't reach our five-inning threshhold (though we'd normally be happy with his outing). We're now 90-55 for the season.
Let's go with Mariners rookie Taijuan Walker (owned in 6.4 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) in his final start of the season tonight against the Astros, and streaking Met Dillon Gee (15.8 percent owned) on Tuesday versus the Nats. Did you know that Gee has a 1.94 ERA and a 0.99 WHIP over his last 10 starts?
On to the rest of the news:
- Red Sox OF Jacoby Ellsbury has a compression fracture in his right foot. The Sox are hopeful that Ellsbury will return before the end of the regular season, but there's no timetable beyond him being in a walking boot for five days. If you own Ellsbury in a league without bench space, you should drop him.
- In other Red Sox news, Clay Buchholz returns to the mound Tuesday at Tampa. He'll be limited to 75-80 pitches.
- Nationals OF Bryce Harper was scheduled to have his ailing hip checked out by a doctor on Sunday. Harper's status is TBD, but you should be worried if you own him. With the Nats pretty much dead in the wildcard race, there's no incentive for them to risk further injury to Harper. But, I'm not the doctor.
- Reminder: Jose Fernandez's Wednesday start against the Braves is expected to be his final outing of the season. Is he a top 10 starter for 2014? Top 15? Hmm ...
- Pirates OF Starling Marte (hand) has been activated from the DL, but he can't grip a bat, so he'll be a pinch runner and defensive replacement until things change. With three weeks left in the season, do you want to wait around for Marte?
- Twins C Joe Mauer (concussion) took batting practice on Friday, but there's still no timetable for his return.
- Astros OF Robbie Grossman (oblique) has missed five straight games, and is still day-to-day.
- Angels OF Peter Bourjos (wrist) is expected to have season-ending surgery. What a miserable breakout season this turned out to be.
- Cardinals 1B Allen Craig probably won't be back before the final week of the regular season, if then. Again, you don't have time to wait around unless you can stash Craig on the DL or bench.
- Giants SP Yusemiro Petit came within one out of a perfect game on Friday. If only someone had recommended him in Free Agent Frenzy earlier that day ...
- The timetable for Phillies OF Dom Brown to come back from his sore Achilles' is ... ???
- Dodgers SP Hyun-Jin Ryu (lower back tightness) is scheduled to return to the mound on Wednesday against the D-backs. Ryu missed one start with the issue.
- Billy Hamilton's first six days as a major leaguer included zero plate appearances and four stolen bases. Hamilton is owned in 1.8 percent of FOXSports.com leagues, and is eligible at shortstop.
- Rockies OF Dexter Fowler is day-to-day with a sore knee. Fowler didn't play on Saturday or Sunday.
See you back here tomorrow with baseball and football posts.