I didn't know Steve Hagis very well, but he was a friendly enough guy. We played for opposing basketball teams in seventh and eighth grades - he as an imposing starting center for Holy Child, me as a sharpshooting benchwarmer for St. Joseph-St. Thomas - and we both went to Monsignor Farrell High School in Staten Island, N.Y. Steve walked and sat next to me during our graduation in 1987, because we were arranged in alphabetical order. He was 6'9" and I'm 5'6", and watching for the tallest kid in our class of 300 made it easy for my parents to keep track of where I was during the ceremony.
After graduation, Steve went on to play basketball at Fairfield University, and later became a bond broker at Cantor Fitzgerald. Steve died on September 11, 2001, at the World Trade Center, leaving behind a wife and two young children. Read his obituary when you get a chance, as we remember all those we lost on that terrible day.
First pitch: The Royals and Indians get the AL day underway at 12:05 p.m. ET, while the Cubs and Reds start NL action a half-hour later.
Interleague DH issues: Figure that the Pirates will use Garrett Jones again when they face Matt Garza in Texas.
Streaming starters: Dillon Gee didn't get it done last night, so we're down to 91-56 for the season. Today's selection is Yusemiro Petit (owned in 19.9 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the Rockies, while Thursday's pick is Cleveland's Corey Kluber (6.3 percent owned) at the White Sox.
On to the rest of the news:
- Marlins SP Jose Fernandez makes his final start of 2013 tonight, as he's about to reach his innings limit of 170. You knew this was coming if you own Fernandez, so hopefully you've targeted other rosterable starters, or planned to stream with guys like Petit, Kluber, etc. Through 27 starts, Fernandez is 11-6 with a 2.23 ERA, a 0.97 WHIP and 182 strikeouts in 165 2/3 innings. Not bad for a guy you probably grabbed as a free agent after the season started, huh?
- The Nationals expect to get OF Bryce Harper (hip) back in the lineup tonight.
- Nice return for Clay Buchholz. Did you activate him?
- Blue Jays 1B Edwin Encarnacion is still day-to-day with a sore left wrist.
- The Yankees got Brendan Ryan? World Series, here we come!
- In other Yankee news, Alex Rodriguez (hamstring) hopes to DH today, and Ivan Nova (triceps) thinks he'll be able to make his next start.
- Need speed? After getting two more steals last night, Astros SS Jonathan Villar has 16 in 41 games with a .277 BA. Villar is owned in 0.8 percent of FOXSports.com leagues.
- Reds SP Tony Cingrani left Tuesday's game early due to back spasms. His status is TBD.
- Braves OF Justin Upton left Tuesday's game after fouling a ball off his right knee, and it sounds like he'll get tonight off.
- The Cubs will use a six-man rotation for the next 10 days. If you own Travis Wood or Jeff Samardzija, you'll need to track their starts a little more closely than usual. The Brewers also plan to employ a six-man rotation.
- Mets infielder Justin Turner left Tuesday's game with a tight hamstring, and hopes to return in a couple of days.
- A's OF Josh Reddick is back from the DL, but his playing status is unclear. Daric Barton's modest emergence has mucked up the A's 1B/OF rotation a bit.
See you back here tomorrow morning.