Way to go, Felix Hernandez. It looked like you could have thrown 50 perfect innings yesterday.
Bud Norris' shaky outing dropped our streaming starter record to 73-50 for the season, and earned him long-overdue persona non grata status in this space (he hurt his foot, too). Today's pick is Atlanta's Kris Medlen (owned in 15 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) versus the Padres, while Friday's selection is Nats' lefty Ross Detwiler (22.3 percent owned) against the Mets. Detwiler apparently felt ill during his rough start on Sunday, and he's been pretty solid otherwise.
On to the news:
- Giants OF Melky Cabrera has been suspended for 50 games after testing positive for testosterone, and will miss the rest of the season. The team's website says that speedy Gregor Blanco will take most of Cabrera's playing time in left field, but he's not much of a hitter, and I'd only recommend him in NL-only leagues. The Giants will try to make a trade, so stay tuned.
- Potential replacements for Cabrera in FOXSports.com leagues include Ryan Ludwick (27.1 percent owned), Cody Ross (23 percent owned), Carlos Gomez (5.8 percent owned) and maybe Andy Dirks (6.2 percent owned). If you have specific questions on free agents from your league, ping me on Twitter (@jhalpin37) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/halpinsports).
- Signs point to a Friday return from the DL for White Sox 1B Paul Konerko (concussion).
- Nationals SS Ian Desmond is still tracking to come off the DL on Friday. The Nats' website reports that Desmond is "expected to return." Steve Lombardozzi will lose playing time to accommodate Desmond.
- The latest on Red Sox DH David Ortiz (Achilles) is that he probably won't play this weekend. Beyond that ... heck if I know. The guy can't even run, for crying out loud.
- Pirates 2B Neil Walker left Wednesday's game with a dislocated right pinky, and hopes to avoid a DL stint. We should know more today.
- I didn't watch last night's shaky start from Indians SP Roberto Hernandez (formerly Fausto Carmona, but he had a weird stat line. In six innings, Hernandez allowed five earned runs on 10 hits, with no walks and no strikeouts. He also got 15 ground balls against seven fly balls, which is typical. The AL-only owner in me wants to see what he does next time.
- Orioles 1B/3B Wilson Betemit will have an MRI today on a sore right wrist, but the O's are hopeful that it isn't serious. Betemit hasn't played since Saturday.
- Rockies SS Troy Tulowitzki had a good workout at Coors Field on Wednesday, and is eyeing an early September return.
- Mike Trout hit another homer, stole another base and scored two more runs last night. Ho-hum.
- Jim Henderson got another chance to close yesterday for the Brewers and ... blew it.
- I've been seeing stories about a few teams going to six-man rotations, but they always seem to include the qualifier that the adjustment will last only for a week or two. If that's the case, it doesn't mean much for you.
- Huston Street's calf strain will keep him out longer than 15 days. Dale Thayer is still available in more than 98 percent of FOXSports.com leagues, so go get him if you need saves.
- Cardinals C Yadier Molina might not play tonight because of a nagging sore back. Since Diamondbacks-Cards is one of the later games on today's schedule, Yadi should be benched by his fantasy owners if possible.
- In other Cardinals' news, with Jaime Garcia slated to return from the DL on Sunday, Joe Kelly is headed to the bullpen.
- DH Luke Scott is ready to rejoin the Rays, but they don't seem to have room for him.
- There are two afternoon games on today's schedule, starting with Rangers-Yankees at 1:05 p.m. ET. Set your lineups accordingly.
See you back here tomorrow morning.