Anytime you want to stop this "be nice to the Orioles for a change" nonsense, I'd appreciate it. It's gone way too far.
As a reminder, here's our Fantasy Quality Start Criteria: Minimum of 5 IP, and must meet at least two of the following: 4.00 ERA/1.30 WHIP/4 K/Win
Sometimes the criteria works against us after a seemingly good game, and other times - like last night's effort by Toronto's Carlos Villanueva - it works in our favor after a shaky start. With the streaming starter record up to 89-54, tonight's pick is Atlanta's Mike Minor (owned in 11.3 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the Rockies, and Thursday's selection is Milwaukee's Marco Estrada (6.4 percent owned) versus the Marlins. Did you know that Estrada has allowed just one earned run in his last three starts, with 27 strikeouts against five walks in 18 innings over that span?
On to the news:
- Dodgers' closer Kenley Jansen (heart condition) will not need to miss the rest of the season, and is targeting Sept. 18 as a return date. Jansen needs to be on blood thinners for 10 days, and rest for a few more before pitching again. He'll have surgery in the offseason.
- Dodgers SP Chad Billingsley, on the other hand, is probably done for the season.
- The Angels' website says it's "looking unlikely" that Jered Weaver (shoulder) will make his scheduled start on Friday.
- Yankees 1B Mark Teixeira (calf) probably won't be ready to play on Thursday, but is still hoping for a weekend return. No hurry, Mark. Things have been going just fine in your absence.
- Look for Joey Votto to be back in the Reds' lineup today. That doesn't mean he'll be there every day from now on, though.
- That Phillies-Reds game starts at 12:35 p.m. ET, and is one of four afternoon games on today's schedule. Set your lineups accordingly.
- Does anyone out there own Philip Humber in an AL-only league? If so, please don't look at last night's Twins-White Sox boxscore. It's hideous.
- Early-season surprise Jason Hammel will come off the DL on Thursday to start for the unstoppable Orioles against the Yankees. Hammel, who has been out since July 13 due to a knee injury, will be on an unspecified pitch count.
- Andrew Bailey got his second save last night for the Red Sox. Why is he still available in 72.5 percent of FOXSports.com leagues?
- Orioles SP Chris Tillman received good news on his elbow MRI, and it sounds like he could return to the rotation sometime next week.
- Diamondbacks OF Chris Young is expected to miss somewhere between three and seven days with a quad injury. Rookie Adam Eaton (.375 BA, 7 HR, 44 SB between Double A and Triple A) started in Young's place last night, and one beat writer thinks the D-backs should let Eaton play.
- It sounds like the Cubs are planning to shut down Jeff Samardzija sometime in the next two weeks. This'll hurt the Cubs' playoff chances.
- Minor League Player of the Year Wil Myers will reportedly come to spring training next year positioned to win a starting job with the Royals, according to the Kansas City Star. But what are they going to do with Jeff Francoeur?
- The Cardinals have a couple of day-to-day outfielders: Matt Holliday (back) and Carlos Beltran (knee).
- Speedy Anthony Gose is back with the Blue Jays, and the team's website reports that he'll play right field against righthanded pitching. The Jays' site also says that C J.P. Arencibia is slated to come off the DL on Friday.
See you back here tomorrow morning.