Yu Darvish is a strikeout machine. Through Sunday's game, he has 72 whiffs in 45 2/3 innings. My goodness.
First pitch: The White Sox and Royals start the American League day at 2:10 p.m. ET, while Braves-Reds gets the NL underway at 7:10.
Interleague DH issues: With the Rangers visiting the Cubs tonight and the Brewers on Tuesday and Wednesday, Lance Berkman will pinch hit for a few days. Looking ahead, Victor Martinez will also be a pinch-hitter when the Tigers visit the Nationals on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Streaming starters: Mike Leake's win and run prevention helped us Friday, Phil Hughes was terrific on Saturday, and Wandy Rodriguez was good enough in his Sunday loss. We're up to 19-13 for the season.
Let's keep it simple and stream against the Marlins for the next two days, taking Padres' starters Andrew Cashner (owned in 5 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) today and Eric Stults (1.3 percent owned) on Tuesday.
Note: I've been including a "Who's Off" note on Mondays and Thursdays, but it seems unnecessary. Let me know if you disagree.
On to the news:
- After another shellacking on Sunday, Phillies SP Roy Halladay told the team that he's been feeling pain in his shoulder, and they placed him on the DL. We don't yet know how long Halladay will be out, but as tempting as it might be to cut bait with him right now, stash him on your DL if you can. I suggested the aforemetioned Mr. Hughes (now 16.5 percent owned) as a rosterable option in Friday's Free Agent Frenzy, but otherwise you should plan to stream starters until we hear Halladay's prognosis. FANTASY NEWS Check out the latest
- With Hanley Ramirez (hamstring) back on the DL - probably for longer than the minimum stay - speedy Dee Gordon (2.4 percent owned) is back at shortstop for the Dodgers. Gordon had 14 steals at Triple A before his promotion, and swiped three in two games for the Dodgers over the weekend. Among Gordon's negatives are a history of on-base issues, a shaky glove that could cost him playing time, and the N0. 8 slot in the batting order. None of those should scare you away from his speed, which is off the charts. Grab him now if you can, and hope that when Ramirez returns, it's to play third base.
- In other Dodger news, 1B Adrian Gonzalez (trap muscle) will have an MRI today after being limited to one pinch-hitting appearance over the weekend, and 2B Mark Ellis (quad) might finally land on the DL today.
- Welcome back, Brian McCann! You'll be active in one of my lineups today.
- Royals SP Jeremy Guthrie is 4-0 with a 2.40 ERA and 1.11 WHIP after Saturday's shutout. Guthrie is owned in just 43.2 percent of FOXSports.com leagues, and you can certainly grab him if you need a short-term starter. However, his ERAs over the last five seasons are 3.63, 5.04, 3.83, 4.33 and 4.76. Be careful.
- Red Sox closer Andrew Bailey (biceps) will have an MRI today. Raise your hand if you're a Joel Hanrahan owner hoping for a DL stint! C'mon, you know you're out there.
- Kyuji Fujikawa could come off the DL for the Cubs as soon as today. He's still my bet to close.
- Rockies 1B Todd Helton returned from the DL on Sunday. Remember when that news would have been awesome?
- Indians OF Michael Bourn (finger) will begin a rehab assignment tonight, and could be back by the weekend. Giddy Ryan Raburn owners might want to prepare for some reduced playing time.
- Yankees SS Eduardo Nunez is day-to-day with tightness in his ribcage. Today's off-day should help.
- With OF Chris Young (quad) joining Coco Crisp on the DL, fading prospect Michael Taylor figures to get playing time against lefties. Desperate AL-only owners could consider Taylor.
- Yeah, Matt Cain!
- Padres SP Clayton Richard is on the DL due to an intestinal virus. Ugh.
- After reading this, I guess I need to make a point to watch Cardinals RP Carlos Martinez. Sounds impressive, huh?
- Rays 2B/OF Ben Zobrist will miss tonight's game due to a death in the family. He should be back on Tuesday.
fantasy baseball news
and advice on FOXSports.com!
See you back here tomorrow morning.