I wouldn't be doing my duty as a Yankee fan if I didn't link to this article about Clay Buchholz allegedly putting a foreign substance on the baseball while pitching. This one notes that RP Junichi Tazawa may have been doing the same thing.
First pitch: The Reds and Cubs have a 2:20 p.m. ET matinee at Wrigley, while the AL schedule gets underway shortly after 7. Also, remember that MLB ON FOX coverage begins Saturday at 3:30, leading into Orioles-Angels, Cardinals-Brewers and Nationals-Pirates.
Interleague DH issues: The Rays are in Colorado, meaning that the newly activated Luke Scott figures to be a pinch hitter.
Streaming starters: Kyle Kendrick's strong outing raised our record to 16-13 for the season. The weekend picks are Mike Leake (owned in 2.3 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) today, the surging Phil Hughes (12.8 percent owned, two ER in each of his last three starts) against the A's on Saturday, and Wandy Rodriguez (24.7 percent owned) versus the Nats on Sunday.
On to the news:
- 3B Ryan Zimmerman comes off the DL tonight for the Nationals, with rookie Anthony Rendon heading back to the minors. Start Zimmerman if you've got him. FANTASY NEWS Check out the latest
- Brewers 3B Aramis Ramirez (knee) will be activated today, but since he didn't go on a rehab assignment, they'll take it easy with him in the short term, possibly pulling him early from games and giving him days off. For the next few days at least, try to look for the Brewers' lineups before starting Ramirez. He'll play tonight, but beyond that, it's a mystery.
- Why did Joel Hanrahan get last night's save for the Red Sox? Because Andrew Bailey was suffering from discomfort in his biceps. Bailey and the team say the injury is minor, and there hasn't been a role change here. However, if you own Bailey, you already know that he's had some trouble staying healthy. Cross your fingers.
- In other Red Sox news, OF Shane Victorino is expected to play tonight after missing seven straight games with a strained lower back.
- Nats OF Jayson Werth's hamstring injury might cause him to miss some (or all) of this weekend's series in Pittsburgh. A DL trip apparently isn't going to be needed, though.
- White Sox SP Jake Peavy was scratched Thursday due to back spasms, and won't start until Saturday at the earliest, according to the team's website.
- This Q&A with Brian Cashman has plenty of Yankee injury updates, but the one that sticks out is 3B Alex Rodriguez beginning "baseball rehab" as early as next week.
- Braves C Brian McCann is tracking toward a Monday return to the lineup. He's still available in about 30 percent of leagues around here.
- Dee Gordon is working out at second base? Whatever it takes to get his speed back to the majors and on fantasy rosters, I guess.
- With Josh Johnson (triceps) not-so-shockingly on the DL, Ricky Romero will start tonight for the Blue Jays. No, I don't trust Romero, either.
fantasy baseball news
and advice on FOXSports.com!
See you back here Monday morning.