So, the Diamondbacks asked the Dodgers to not celebrate their NL West clinch on the field, and the Dodgers responded by jumping in the Chase Field pool. Why are the D-backs mad?
First pitch: The Braves and Cubs have a 2:20 p.m. ET matinee at Wrigley, while AL action gets underway at 7:05.
Interleague DH issues: I bet that Buster Posey gets a couple of games at DH when the Giants visit the Yankees this weekend.
Streaming starters: Ubaldo Jimenez was lights-out again on Thursday, raising our record to 98-59 and dropping his ERA to 3.39.
The weekend picks are Padres' lefty Robbie Erlin (owned in 0.2 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the hung-over Dodgers tonight; Dillon Gee (19.3 percent owned) at Philly on Saturday; and blog staple Corey Kluber (9 percent owned) on Sunday. What do you guys have against Kluber?
On to the rest of the news:
- The Braves have activated OF Jason Heyward and put him in the lineup for today's game. Look for Heyward to play enough to get his timing down before the postseason, but with a few off-days as part of the package.
- Speaking of rest, the Dodgers' division clincher means that you can expect some of their players (Matt Kemp, Hanley Ramirez, Yasiel Puig) to get plenty of rest over the season'f final 10 days. If you own any Dodgers in daily leagues, be vigilant about checking lineups.
- It sounds like Mets 3B David Wright will be activated from the DL before tonight's game.
- The A's have scratched Jered Weaver from tonight's start due to forearm tightness, but he hopes to take his final turn next week.
- Tigers SS Jose Iglesias suffered a bruised left hand when he got hit by a pitch on Thursday night, and might miss a few games.
- The Red Sox have moved Clay Buchholz's next start up to Saturday.
- Cubs C Wellington Castillo left Thursday's game with a sore knee, and his status for the rest of the season is TBD.
- Giants closer Sergio Romo threw 25 pitches on both Tuesday and Wednesday, so don't be alarmed that Javier Lopez got last night's save.
- Gerrit Cole sure is picking up the strikeout pace. Wow.
- The Cardinals hope that 1B Matt Adams will play tonight, but if he does he'll have a brace on his injured elbow.
- The Yankees will celebrate Mariano Rivera's career this weekend. Andy Pettitte is announcing his retirement today. It's getting a little dusty here at Halpin Blog HQ.
See you back here Monday morning.