R.A. Dickey gave up two runs in six innings last night, striking out 10 batters. Maybe he's turning the corner?
First pitch: The Padres and Orioles have an interleague matchup at 12:35 p.m. ET.
Interleague DH issues: The Indians figure to trot out the same lineup as last night against Phillies' lefty Cole Hamels, so don't expect anything interesting there.
Streaming starters: Scott Kazmir wasn't so great last night, so we're down to 25-16 for the season. Today's pick is Mike Leake (owned in 2.4 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) at Miami, while Thursday's selection is Marlins' phenom Jose Fernandez (16.8 percent owned) versus the Reds.
On to the news:
- Closer alert! Kenley Jansen got a one-out save last night for the Dodgers. The Los Angeles Times reports that Jansen has "apparently taken over the closer role," but the team website's game story quoted a non-committal Don Mattingly as saying, "I had to go with the guy who's throwing the ball best; as much as anything he's (Jansen) been throwing the ball better than anybody." Mattingly also said "We'll see" when asked if Jansen is his new closer. This smells like a change that might never be reversed thanks to the beastly Jansen. What to do here? Grab Jansen (46.8 percent owned) if you can, and hold League for a little while longer if you own him.
- In other Dodger news, Zack Greinke is tonight's confirmed starter.
- Astros 2B Jose Altuve has been placed on the bereavement list due to the loss of his grandmother, and is expected to rejoin the team on Saturday. Speedy Jake Elmore (8 SB at Triple A this season) was called up and played in Altuve's place last night.
- OF Coco Crisp is expected to come off the DL today for the A's.
- It sounds like the outfield fence at Dodger Stadium scored a bigger Monday night win over Bryce Harper than we thought. Harper missed last night's game after feeling nauseous all day, and probably won't play tonight, either. Concussion tests did come back negative, though.
- The Mariners seem to think the back issue that forced Felix Hernandez to leave Tuesday's game (which the bullpen promptly coughed up) isn't serious.
- Blue Jays OF Melky Cabrera, who has been dealing with hamstring soreness, will have an MRI today. The MelkMan had four hits last night, so don't worry too much if you own him.
- With Matt Garza tracking toward a return from the DL early next week, Carlos Villanueva could be headed to the bullpen.
- Braves OF B.J. Upton missed Tuesday's game with a sore shoulder, but hopes to play today.
- Big Papi is dealing with an oblique injury? No wonder he's not hitting .400 anymore!
- News you wouldn't have cared about a month ago: The Cubs expect 3B Luis Valbuena (finger) to return today after a four-day absence.
- Johnny Cueto is on track to return to the Reds for his next start, probably on Monday - which is Mike Leake's turn. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll take Leake's rotation spot instead of Tony Cingrani's, though.
- Look for Yankees DH Travis Hafner to miss a couple more days with his sore shoulder.
See you back here tomorrow morning.