That was quite a trade the Dodgers and Red Sox made on Friday, huh? As far as I can tell, the only real near-term fantasy implications for mixed leaguers are thatDaisuke Matsuzaka will rejoin the Red Sox rotation, and 1B Mauro Gomez (.310, 24 HR at Triple A) becomes James Loney's right-handed-hitting platoon partner in Boston. Also, Josh Beckett makes his first Dodger start tonight at Coors Field, which should be fun.
In real life, the Dodgers had better win the World Series, because the financial hangover from this deal will be pretty big.
Patrick Corbin wasn't so good on Friday, Carlos Quintana struggled on Saturday, and Jhoulys Chacin wasn't quite good enough on Sunday. That rough weekend puts the streaming starter record at 81-53 for the season. Today's pick is Brett Anderson (owned in 13.9 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the Indians, and Tuesday's selection is Baltimore's Chris Tillman (9.1 percent owned) versus the White Sox.
On to the news:
- Jose Bautista's return to the Blue Jays' lineup didn't even last two games, as he was placed on the DL after re-aggravating his left wrist injury on Saturday. Bautista's prognosis is TBD, but don't be surprised if he doesn't play again this season. Moises Sierra (19 HR, 8 SB between Triple A and MLB) takes Bautista's spot in right field, and is an interesting AL-only option.
- Red Sox DH David Ortiz is probably headed back to the DL, since his Achilles injury hasn't gotten much better. Ryan Lavarnway and the aforementioned Mr. Gomez should see some at bats at DH.
- Speaking of the Sox, Alfredo Aceves was suspended for three games because he apparently threw a tantrum following Andrew Bailey's save on Friday night. Aceves' suspension will end after today's game, but that doesn't mean he'll close anymore. Bailey is available in almost 75 percent of FOXSports.com leagues, and should be snatched up.
- The Angels are hoping to get 1B Albert Pujols (calf) back in the lineup on Tuesday.
- The Orioles acquired SP Joe Saunders from the Diamondbacks. Saunders' carries a 4.17 career ERA with a 1.37 WHIP, and the AL East doesn't project to be friendly for him. I placed a bid on Saunders in my AL-only league last night, and then withdrew it after asking myself, "Why the $#@! would I want Joe Saunders?"
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy says he'll stick with a three-man closer committee. I'd like to tell you which reliever I like best, but you'll have to read Free Agent Frenzy to find out.
- Gavin Floyd was pulled from Sunday's start with elbow discomfort, and his prognosis is TBD. Floyd isn't expected to start Friday, and the DL is a possibility.
- Dodgers SP Chad Billingsley is on the DL with elbow inflammation, and isn't expected to have another MRI for a week. Stay tuned.
- The Braves' crowded rotation has been sorted out because of an injury to - surprise! - Ben Sheets, who is on the DL with an achy shoulder.
- Padres' pitching prospect Casey Kelly will make his big-league debut tonight. Kelly has missed a lot of time this season with elbow issues, but he's got 39 strikeouts in 37 2/3 innings across three levels of the minors. Check out Kelly in NL-only leagues, because of where he pitches his home games.
- Nationals SS Ian Desmond (hamstring) and OF Mike Morse (hand) missed time over the weekend, but expect to play on Tuesday.
- Oakland's Grant Balfour has seven saves in the last 16 days, and is owned in just 32.1 percent of FOXSports.com leagues. I'm just saying ...
- Mets 2B Daniel Murphy will have an MRI today on his injured shoulder. If Murphy misses any time, the Mets might only score 0.01 runs per game (down from their usual 0.02).
- With Joey Votto set to begin a rehab assignment on Tuesday with an eye on a weekend return, Todd Frazier's owners might want to worry a little. Especially after reading this.
See you back here tomorrow morning.