For the third consecutive start, Max Scherzer failed to record his 20th victory. He's soooooooo not clutch.
First pitch: Both leagues have 7:05 p.m. ET starts.
Interleague DH issues: As noted here yesterday, I wonder if Gaby Sanchez will get a shot at DH tonight when the Pirates face Rangers' lefty Martin Perez in Arlington.
Streaming starters: Taijuan Walker was pretty good in his final start of 2013, raising our record to 91-55. Today's pick is Dillon Gee (owned in 17.8 percent of FOXSports.com) versus the Nats, while Wednesday's selection is Yusemiro Petit (16.1 percent owned) against the Rockies. Petit has had three good starts in a row, including his near-perfect game on Friday.
On to the rest of the news:
- All signs point to Angels 2B Howie Kendrick (knee) being activated from the DL today after a five-week absence. Prepare to start Kendrick if you've got him, but check the lineup card first.
- Reminder: Clay Buchholz returns tonight at Tampa, and he's expected to be on a limit of 75-80 pitches. Buchholz isn't a must-start for you.
- The Mariners will skip Felix Hernandez's Wednesday start due to what manager Eric Wedge is calling a "minor oblique strain." King Felix is expected to start again next week, but stay tuned.
- Astros C Jason Castro missed another game Monday with a sore knee, and it doesn't sound like he'll be catching much down the stretch. You'll need to watch Castro's status closely if you own him in a daily lineup league.
- Josh Fields got save no. 4 last night for the Astros, and allowed just one run in the process. He's like the next Mariano Rivera!
- Nice game, Gerrit Cole. We've been hoping those strikeouts would show up sometime.
- Braves OF Jason Heyward (jaw) is expected to take batting practice on Friday. If all goes well, you might see him for the final week of the season.
- The Yankees are calling SS Derek Jeter day-to-day.
- Rockies OF Dexter Fowler is "50-50" to play in the current series against the Giants, while Carlos Gonzalez is "still not taking batting practice and doesn’t appear close to being anything more than a late-game defensive replacement," according to the Denver Post.
- The Astros might shut down some of their young starters soon.
- Mets SS Ruben Tejada will come off the DL today, but his playing status is TBD.
- Nationals OF Bryce Harper won't return to the lineup until Wednesday at the earliest. On the bright side, a Monday MRI showed no structural damage in the hip, and it doesn't sound like the Nats are planning to shut Harper down (as some have speculated).
See you back here tomorrow morning.