So, 21-year-old Jose Fernandez hit his first big-league homer last night, and stared at it for a couple of seconds before he started running (here's the video). The Braves' reaction to this horrific breach of etiquette caused the benches to clear, Fernandez to apologize and Marlins manager Mike Redmond to say that Fernandez's behavior "ruined the night" for him. This sport needs to take itself less seriously sometimes.
First pitch: The next edition of the Braves-Marlins death match begins at 12:40 p.m. ET, while AL action gets underway with A's-Twins at 1:10.
Interleague DH issues: None.
Streaming starters: Yusemiro Petit wasn't quite good enough last night, so we're down to 91-57 for the season. Today's pick is Corey Kluber (owned in 8.2 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) at the White Sox, and Friday's selection is Charlie Morton (9.5 percent owned) versus the Cubs. Morton has been suffering from a sore foot, but he's expected to pitch.
On to the rest of the news:
- Twins C Joe Mauer was sent home early from a Wednesday workout after suffering from concussion-like symptoms. It's time to give up on Mauer if you've been waiting for his return.
- Blue Jays 1B Edwin Encarnacion (wrist) missed another game Wednesday, and hasn't swung a bat since the weekend. The Jays are calling Encarnacion day-to-day, but his situation is getting worrisome.
- Mets 3B David Wright (hamstring) ran the bases on Wednesday, and if all goes well he could come off the DL next week.
- See you next year, Derek Jeter. I hope.
- Cardinals C Yadier Molina missed Wednesday's game due to a personal matter. It sounds like he'll be back tonight.
- Brewers OF Khris Davis hasn't played since last Wednesday due to a wrist injury, but he hit in a cage yesterday, so he's getting closer.
- Orioles SP Bud Norris (elbow) has been scratched from his Friday start, and will be replaced by Jason Hammel.
- Josh Zeid got a four-out save for the Astros last night, but he entered the game with a four-run lead. I wouldn't read anything into this one.
- Mets SP Zack Wheeler probably has two starts left before getting shut down. That means he'll miss only his last one.
- The Royals are skipping my man Danny Duffy? Booooooooo!
- Here's an update on Jason Castro's slow recovery from his knee injury.
- Rockies OF Dexter Fowler (knee) didn't play in the three-game series against the Giants. Maybe tomorrow?
- It's possible that Johnny Cueto could take Tony Cingrani's spot in the Reds' rotation. Cueto threw 60 pitches against live hitters on Wednesday, and seems to be progressing well.
- Cubs manager Dale Sveum on struggling SP Jeff Samardzija: "I’d probably go out on a limb saying there’s a combination of [physical fatigue] and getting a little mentally wore out right now."
- Braves SP Paul Maholm had an MRI on his elbow; we should know more today. In other Braves' news, I have no idea when B.J. Upton and Dan Uggla will get off the bench.
- I'll be talking football in the FOXSports.com fantasy chat roomtoday at 2 p.m. ET. Come on over.
See you back here tomorrow morning with a blog doubleheader - one football post and one baseball post.