Five wild pitches, Freddy Garcia? Seriously?
Edinson Volquez's solid outing raised the streaming pitcher selection record to 5-1 for the season. Today's pickings are slim because most teams have their aces going, but let's take a shot with Braves' rookie Randall Delgado (owned in 0.5 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the weak-hitting Astros.
On to the news:
- Mets 3B David Wright has a fractured right pinky, and might land on the disabled list. Wright is scheduled to visit a hand specialist today, after which we'll know more about the expected length of his absence.
- Nationals OF Michael Morse has suffered a setback in his rehab from a strained lat muscle. It sounds like Morse was swinging the bat fine, but had pain when trying to throw. He'll undergo some tests this week, and that's all we know right now.
- Diamondbacks OF Justin Upton hopes to play today after missing Tuesday's game with a jammed thumb.
- Astros' leadoff hitter Jordan Schafer stole three bases last night. If you need free-agent speed, Schafer is owned in just 0.6 percent of FOXSports.com leagues.
- Reds 2B Brandon Phillips might miss a few more days due to a sore hamstring.
- Neftali Feliz's transition to the rotation started very well, as he tossed seven shutout innings against the Mariners last night. Yeah, I know - it was the Mariners. But if Feliz pitches well, and Yu Darvish comes close to living up to the hype, the Rangers will be really good.
- Did you miss my chat yesterday? How about this week's Fantasy 15 podcast with Mike Harmon and me? There's more to fantasy baseball than this blog, you know!
- Weird injuries dept.: Yankees RP Rafael Soriano tore the nail on his middle finger while warming up in the bullpen last night, and wasn't able to pitch. You're allowed to laugh, both now and if Soriano ends up on the DL.
- Stop me if you've heard this before: A's reliever Joey Devine had Tommy John surgery on Tuesday, and will miss the season. I really feel bad for Devine. He's always had good stuff, but he's always hurt.
- FYI, there are seven afternoon games today, with three of them starting before 1 p.m. ET. Set your lineups early.
- Adam Wilk will take Doug Fister's spot in the Tigers' rotation on Saturday. Wilk is a soft-tossing lefty with great control. Don't bother, even in AL-only leagues.
- Look for Rays DH Luke Scott to miss a few days with a hamstring injury.
- Cardinals 1B Lance Berkman left last night's game due to a pulled calf muscle, and his status for today is TBD.
- One of my favorite AL-only sleepers, Kansas City's Danny Duffy, had a strong first start of the season last night, allowing just one hit in six shutout innings. I can't say I liked the four walks, though.
- Due to the Padres' rotation injuries, the team is likely to call up one of its prized prospects - either Casey Kelly or Joe Wieland - to start Saturday's game.
- Charlie Morton is expected to rejoin the Pirates' rotation this weekend.
- Dodgers SS Dee Gordon stole his fourth base in five games last night. If you hadn't heard, he's fast.
- Royals OF Lorenzo Cain left last night's game due to a strained groin. Cain was already scheduled to sit out today's game, and hopefully the injury won't keep him out any longer.
- Daniel Bard's Tuesday start was just so-so, but Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe noted that Bard had 18 swings-and-misses during the outing. For perspective, Josh Beckett had 20 in one game last season, and no other Red Sox starter had more than 16. If the Sox give Bard the chance, he might become a pretty good starter.
- Braves 3B Chipper Jones homered in his return to the lineup last night.
- Vlad Guerrero is spending some of his unemployed time in police custody after getting into a recent brawl at a Dominican discotheque. I added this note because I don't get to type the word "discotheque" very often.
See you back here tomorrow morning.
Check out more Fantasy Baseball News and Notes.