Josh Willingham! Mike Morse! If you have a right-handed-hitting outfielder, the Orioles will make a waiver claim on him.
First pitch: The Phillies and Cubs get the NL action started with a 2:20 p.m. ET matinee, while the Yanks and O's have the first AL contest at 7:05. I'm trying to think of a better afternoon than the Friday before a long weekend at Wrigley Field, and not much comes to mind.
Interleague DH issues: With the Angels in Milwaukee for the weekend, look for Josh Hamilton to move back to the outfield, and Peter Bourjos to be a likelier bench candidate than surprising rookie J.B. Shuck.
Streaming starters: Jake Odorizzi's solid start raised our record to 86-49. The weekend picks are Arizona's Randall Delgado (owned in 1.8 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the Giants tonight, the surging Dan Zack Wheeler (33.2 percent owned) at Washington on Saturday, and Boston's Felix Doubront (16.7 percent owned) versus the White Sox on Sunday.
On to the rest of the news:
- Tigers 3B Miguel Cabrera left Thursday's game with another case of abdominal discomfort, and is day-to-day. Cabrera seems to think he'll play tonight, but keep an eye out for the lineup card this afternoon, just to be safe.
- Ernesto Frieri got Thursday's save for the Angels, with Dane De La Rosa setting up. However, a walk and a hit made Frieri's inning a shaky one. Why is Mike Scioscia torturing us by shuffling Frieri and De La Rosa, who saved Tuesday's game?
- Braves OF Justin Upton probably won't play tonight after getting hit in the left hand by a pitch last night. He's being called day-to-day.
- Yankees 2B Robinson Cano (hand) won't know until batting practice if he's able to play tonight.
- Here's video of Joe Mauer talking about his concussion. The Minneapolis Star-Tribune headline says that Mauer is "many days away" from returning, and the team's website reports that he's still sensitive to light and sound.
- Reminder: Dexter Fowler's status for tonight is very iffy due to a knee injury.
- Phillies 3B Cody Asche (hamstring) is day-to-day.
- Did you give up on Yovani Gallardo this summer? He's been pretty good in three starts since coming off the DL.
- It appears that the Indians have acquired OF Jason Kubel from the Diamondbacks. Before you get too excited thinking about the 30 homers Kubel hit last season, check out his miserable 2013 numbers, and look at the Indians' crowded outfield depth chart. He's not going to play much.
- The Dodgers are targeting a Sunday return for OF Matt Kemp.
- Red Sox rookie SS/3B Xander Bogaerts has 12 plate appearances in 10 days since being called up from the minors. Remember when we talked about his likely playing time issues?
- Enjoy Jose Fernandez's third-to-last start of the season tonight, folks. He's within 17 1/3 innings of his projected limit.
See you back here Monday morning.