So, now Alex Rodriguez isn't ready to start playing rehab games? And there are really people who think he'll try to commit insurance fraud by trying to claim the remaining $114 million on his contract without playing? Good grief.
First pitch: The Indians and White Sox begin their doubleheader at 5:10 p.m. ET, while the National League schedule starts at 7:05.
Interleague DH issues: The Reds, Cardinals and Cubs will all add hitters at American League parks this weekend. Look for Alfonso Soriano to DH for the Cubs while Brian Bogusevic plays some left field.
Streaming starters: Nice job, Tyler Chatwood. We're up to 49-27 for the season.
The weekend selections are Ricky Nolasco (owned in 8.3 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the Padres tonight, Padres' lefty Eric Stults (33.1 percent owned) at Miami on Saturday, and Miami's Nate Eovaldi (0.7 percent owned) over the Padres on Sunday. It's an all Padres-Marlins weekend!
On to the news:
- The Mariners have called up 23-year-old Brad Miller to be their everyday shortstop, Miller batted .319 between AA and AAA this season, with 12 homers, 53 RBI, 53 runs, six steals, a .920 OPS and a good walk rate. Miller is regarded as a solid prospect who won't be a star, but his bat appears ready to contribute. I can see grabbing him in a standard mixed league over guys like Josh Rutledge or Marco Scutaro.
- Bryce Harper had two more hits last night, and even though the likely scenario is that he'll come off the DL on Monday, don't be surprised to see him in the Nats' lineup sometime this weekend.
- Speaking of the Nats, Taylor Jordan will get the call from the minors to start Saturday against the Mets. Jordan is 7-0 with a 0.83 ERA and 0.85 WHIP at Double A, but his stuff isn't overpowering. If you want to stream him against the Mets, I won't argue, but don't fall in love with him.
- It sounds like the Orioles will reactivate 2B Brian Roberts this weekend. I'd really like to see Roberts play well, but I'm way past expecting it.
- Blue Jays OF Melky Cabrera is on the DL with tendinitis in his left knee. This season has been pretty blah for Melky, huh?
- Clay Buchholz's setback will apparently cost him only a couple of days. Teammate Jon Lester left Thursday's game with a hip injury, but it doesn't sound serious.
- The Rockies expect to reactivate closer Rafael Betancourt today. In other Rockies' news, I haven't seen any updates on Dexter Fowler's hand injury.
- Diamondbacks OF Adam Eaton started another rehab assignment on Wednesday. Hopefully, he'll return in a few weeks.
- Rookie Johnny Hellweg will start tonight for the Brewers. Hellweg has a 2.82 ERA at Triple A, but with 50 strikeouts against 44 walks in 76 2/3 innings. This doesn't sound promising. On the bright side, Hellweg is 6'9", so he probably kicks a** in the Brewers' intramural basketball league.
- Jose Valverde has accepted his assignment to Triple A. Don't ask me again if he's going to close.
See you back here Monday morning.