You think ballplayers have a cushy life? Tell that to the Mariners, who fled sewage in an Oakland Coliseum locker room on Sunday.
First pitch: Both leagues get underway at 7:05 p.m. ET.
Interleague DH issues: The Rockies are in Toronto, where they'll add a hitter. Maybe Tyler Colvin?
Streaming starters: With the record at 43-22, let's take the surging Bud Norris (owned in 7.3 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) tonight against the White Sox, and his teammate Jordan Lyles (3.1 percent owned) on Tuesday. Go Astros!
On to the news:
- The Rays will call up slugging prospect Wil Myers (already 16.2 percent owned) to become their everyday right fielder beginning on Tuesday. Here's an article from the Rays' website that details how the rest of the Rays' lineup will be affected by Myers' arrival; it sounds like Kelly Johnson's playing time will take a hit. Myers was batting .286 with 14 homers and an .858 OPS at Triple A, and is worth a pickup in any format. FANTASY NEWS Check out the latest
- Another big-time prospect, Mets SP Zack Wheeler, will make his big-league debut in the second game of Tuesday's doubleheader against the Braves. Wheeler had a 3.93 ERA in 13 starts while pitching home games at the Mets' hitter-friendly Triple-A affiliate in Las Vegas, but whiffed 73 batters in 68 2/3 innings and has shown improved control recently. If you're salivating about Wheeler, repeat after me: Most rookie starters encounter bumps in the road. Wheeler is owned in 16.5 percent of FOXSports.com leagues, and is worth a pickup in standard mixed leagues IF a big investment isn't required. If getting him means you need to blow more than, say, 30 percent of your remaining FAAB budget, I'd pass. In deeper mixed and NL-only formats, go get Wheeler if you can.
- Joaquin Benoit got a four-out save for the Tigers on Sunday, and manager Jim Leyland was very non-committal about his closer plans after the game. In related news, my man Al Alburquerque is still racking up both walks and strikeouts at Triple A.
- Wait a minute ... the Mariners called up catcher Mike Zunino while I was on vacation, and plan to make him their regular catcher? Expect decent power for the remainder of the season, along with a really bad batting average.
- Rays' rotation news: Alex Cobb is on the seven-day concussion DL after getting hit in the head by a line drive on Saturday, and David Price's planned Tuesday rehab start has been delayed due to "soreness." The Rays don't sound alarmed by Price's issue, so you probably shouldn't worry, either.
- Blue Jays SS Jose Reyes (ankle) is expected to begin a minor-league rehab assignment today, and could return in two weeks or less if all goes well.
- Brewers OF Ryan Braun (hand) hopes to come off the DL a week from tomorrow.
- Chris Perez's first rehab appearance seemed to go fine on Sunday. If there are no setbacks, he could return to the Indians very soon.
- After some "he's done for the season" worries over the weekend, Yankees 1B Mark Teixeira (inflammation in previously injured wrist) will rest for a few days before being re-evaluated. A DL stint is TBD. With Kevin Youkilis (back) on the DL again, the Yankee lineup is a Robinson Cano injury away from being a daily streaming starter target (and we might not even need a Cano injury for that).
- With Brandon Beachy's return delayed, the Braves don't have to make any tough rotation decisions just yet. For good measure, Julio Teheran had another "no effing way you're demoting me" start on Sunday.
- Orioles SP Jason Hammel is day-to-day with a stomach virus. He'll be skipped tonight, and might pitch tomorrow.
- The Red Sox hope to get C/1B Mike Napoli (illness) back on Tuesday, but still might need to place SP Clay Buchholz (neck) on the DL.
- You know that Josh Rutledge is batting second for the Rockies during Troy Tulowitzki's absence, right? Rutledge is a better fantasy player than real player.
- Prediction: Giancarlo Stanton will hit 30 home runs in the Marlins' final 94 games IF he stays healthy.
- The Twins hope to get OF Josh Willingham (knee) back in the lineup on Tuesday.
- If you own Padres SS Everth Cabrera, keep an eye on the news regarding his hamstring injury. We should know more today, but he could end up on the DL.
- Rangers 1B Mitch Moreland (hamstring) is targeting a Friday return from the DL. In other Rangers' news, Jurickson Profar started at third base on Sunday, and might get some time in the outfield. The problem with picking up the talented Profar in a standard mixed league is that the Rangers will try to find a way for him to play on most days, but not every day.
fantasy baseball news
and advice on FOXSports.com!
See you back here tomorrow morning.