Scheduling note: I won't be blogging here on Friday, August 16. You won't miss me too much before Monday, right?
First pitch: The Angels and Yankees get AL action going at 1:05 p.m. ET, while the Pirates and Cardinals begin the NL schedule at 1:45.
Interleague DH issues: None.
Streaming starters: Ivan Nova was solid again, raising our record to 76-44 for the season. The weekend picks are as follows:
- Thursday: Tyson Ross (7.9 percent owned) vs. NYM
- Friday: Felix Doubront (14 percent owned) vs. NYY
- Saturday: Martin Perez (9.4 percent owned) vs. SEA
- Sunday: Jason Vargas (8.4 percent owned) vs. HOU
On to the rest of the news:
- Orioles closer Jim Johnson blew another save on Wednesday - his third in a row and ninth of the season. Manager Buck Showalter said after the game that he's not ready to make a change, but this Baltimore Sun article wonders if Francisco Rodriguez (notTommy Hunter) will get the gig soon. If you own Johnson, hold. If you can get K-Rod as a spec play, it's not a bad idea, but Showalter will probably stick with Johnson for at least a little while longer to see if he can right the ship.
- Yadier Molina comes off the DL today for the Cardinals. Start him if you've got him.
- Rays SP Matt Moore (elbow) will not return to the rotation Saturday, as hoped. There's no revised target date for Moore, but he doesn't sound too far away.
- Gee, Francisco Liriano is terrific.
- With 3B Mike Moustakas (calf) probably unavailable until Saturday or Sunday, the Royals acquired Emilio Bonifacio from the Blue Jays for infield depth. You might remember Bonifacio as the guy you drafted in March after hearing me say that he'd steal 40-50 bases. Now, he's probably not worth rostering in any format, unless you're desperate for a 2B in your AL-only league.
- Look for Rays OF Desmond Jennings (finger) to come off the DL on Monday. Alex Cobb is already listed as tonight's probable starter for the Rays after a two-month DL stint. Why make trades to push for the playoffs when you can just use the DL to reload?
- What's that? Is a Clay Buchholz return on the horizon? It's distant, but I think I see it.
- The Mets are hoping that 3B Wilmer Flores (ankle) can return sometime this weekend.
- The Blue Jays have promoted OF Kevin Pillar (.307 BA, 9 HR, 23 SB between Double A and Triple A) to play left field, and appear ready to bring up Anthony Gose (23 SB at Triple A) to play center while Colby Rasmus is on the DL. That's a couple of nice speed options, AL-only owners.
- You never get tired of watching Yasiel Puig highlights, right? Watch this throw.
- The Cubs will bring up Jake Arrieta to start on Friday. Arrieta has a 3.56 ERA with 39 strikeouts against 16 walks in 30 1/3 Triple-A innings since being traded to the Cubs, and is a moderately interesting NL-only option.
- The Rangers should get results today for Alexi Ogando's shoulder MRI. Can Yu Darvishjust pitch every day?
- Phillies SP John Lannan left Wednesday's game with a knee injury that doesn't sound good.
- Mets SP Jeremy Hefner (elbow) is on the DL.
- Angels SS Erick Aybar might get today off due to a minor calf injury. Teammate Peter Bourjos is scheduled to come off the DL on Friday.
- The Indians seem to like Yan Gomes more all the time. It's nice that he's eligible at C/1B/3B.
See you back here Monday morning.