Rays RP Joel Peralta has been suspended for eight games after getting snitched on by the Nationals being ejected for using pine tar on his glove earlier this week. Joe Maddon is really going to unleash his tweeter on Davey Johnson now.
Despite technically reaching two of our four Fantasy Quality Start criteria (win, 4.00 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, 4 Ks), we're not going to give Daisuke Matsuzaka credit for last night's uninspiring start. The streaming starter record stands at 46-33 for the season.
Our weekend picks are Clayton Richard (owned in 4.5 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) versus the Mariners in PETCO tonight, Baltimore's Wei-Yin Chen (24.8 percent owned) against the Nationals on Saturday, and Edinson Volquez (5.9 percent owned) in a matchup with the Mariners on Sunday. I thought about an all-Padre weekend, but couldn't bring myself to pick fellow Staten Island native Jason Marquis on Saturday. I'm a traitor to my own people!
On to the news:
- Roy Oswalt (owned in 21.6 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) makes his 2012 debut tonight for the Rangers against the Rockies. If you're hunting for a starter, picking up Oswalt is OK in any format, but in standard mixed leagues he's a last-man-in, first-man-out type for me. Oswalt had a 3.69 ERA with a 1.34 WHIP and barely more than six strikeouts per nine innings last season. Now, he's in a tougher league and pitching home games in a park more favorable to hitters. Don't expect miracles.
- Here's an update on the high-profile Red Sox injuries (Andrew Bailey, Carl Crawford, Jacoby Ellsbury). Crawford might appear in a rehab game this weekend.
- Catcher Salvy Perez wasn't in the lineup at Triple-A Omaha last night. There's been some speculation that it's because he's on his way to Kansas City to join the Royals, but nothing official has been announced. Stay tuned.
- The A's have promoted Derek Norris to share time with Kurt Suzuki at catcher. Suzuki's bat gets worse every year, and if you still own him in a standard mixed league, this is your cue to drop him. Norris was batting .273 with eight homers and five steals at Triple A before his callup. The rookie doesn't project to hit for a high average, but with decent power and a little speed, he's an interesting pickup in most formats.
- In other A's news, manager Bob Melvin said Thursday that Yoenis Cespedes will DH for awhile until his hamstring is healthy. This doesn't mean too much for fantasy players, except that the A's are trying to keep Cespedes in the lineup as often as possible.
- Joe Mauer's quad might keep him out of a couple more games this weekend.
- Diamondbacks SS Stephen Drew could be activated from the DL as soon as Wednesday.
- Braves' closer Craig Kimbrel is "like that dude in the video game that you create and give the highest possible rating," according to teammate Jonny Venters. In other Braves' news, Jair Jurrjens returns to the rotation tonight.
- The Cubs haven't announced when 1B Anthony Rizzo will be promoted, but it could happen as soon as this weekend.
- Reds OF Drew Stubbs (oblique) will begin a rehab assignment tonight. His stay in the minors could be very short.
- Former big leaguer Jeff Kent is rumored to be on the next season of Survivor, along with Blair from The Facts of Life. You needed to know that, right?
- What in the world has gotten into James McDonald this season? I know he only beat the Twins yesterday, but a 2.19 ERA with a 0.95 WHIP? That's great, and I hate to be a wet blanket, but he can't keep up this pace.
- Rays OF Matt Joyce is day-to-day, with a possible DL stint on the horizon, due to back tightness. The Rays also expect to get infielder Jeff Keppinger back tonight after he missed a month with a broken toe.
- Southpaw Drew Smyly might be ready to return to the Tigers' rotation on Tuesday.
- No news yet from the Padres on the shoulder inflammation that caused SP Anthony Bass to leave Wednesday's game.
- Nats' manager Davey Johnson really seems to like slugging 1B/OF Tyler Moore. Take note, deep mixed leaguers.
See you back here Monday morning.