Once again, this blog has ruined my baseball enjoyment. Going to bed early made me miss two of Wednesday's three walkoff homers, as well as Jered Weaver's no-hitter. Come to think of it, is no-hitting the Twins really such a big deal? Hmm ...
Edwin Jackson did a whole lot of nothing for us last night, dropping our streaming starter record to 21-10 for the season. Today, let's go with Tampa Bay's Jeff Niemann (owned in 8.3 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the Mariners. Niemann's game begins at 1:10 p.m. ET, so hurry!
On to the news:
- Giants 3B Pablo Sandoval left Wednesday's game with an injury to his left hand. Sandoval will be re-evaluated today, but after the game, manager Bruce Bochy said, "There's a lot of concern there ... there's quite a bit of pain." One Giants' blog suspects a DL stint, and notes that Sandoval had a brace on his hand after the injury. We should know more today.
- Speaking of the Giants, a Bay Area columnist asked GM Brian Sabean why 1B Brandon Belt doesn't play every day. Since I've been ******** about that very subject in this space, I thought you'd like to see Sabean's responses. Frankly, I'm not satisfied. Free Brandon Belt!
- Brewers OF Ryan Braun left Wednesday's game with a sore Achilles' tendon. The injury doesn't sound serious, and the Brewers have an off day today. Hopefully, we'll see Braun on Friday.
- In much worse Brewers news, 1B Mat Gamel appears done for the season due to a torn knee ligament. Travis Ishikawa will take over for Gamel, but the Brewers' website suggests that Corey Hart could move to first base at some point. If that happens, speedy Carlos Gomez would become more interesting, as he'd stand to get more playing time.
- With Kevin Youkilis on the DL, Red Sox 3B Will Middlebrooks had two hits and a stolen base in his big-league debut. Middlebrooks is a good keeper league option and might help you in the very near term, but expect him to head back to Triple A when Youkilis is ready to return in a couple of weeks.
- With Josh Beckett experiencing shoulder stiffness after his last start, the Red Sox will skip his turn in the rotation and start Aaron Cook on Saturday. Beckett is expected to miss only one start, and the Sox don't seem concerned. As for Cook ... eh.
- Marlins' closer Heath Bell screwed up again last night, and manager Ozzie Guillen hinted after the game that he might be willing to give the role to Steve Cishek. Can you believe that a decision to give a 34-year-old closer a three-year, $27-million contract might not work out? I'm shocked - SHOCKED - at this development.
- Phillies SP Cliff Lee had a good bullpen session on Wednesday, and hopes to return to the mound next week.
- Last night's strong outing by Cubs SP Jeff Samardzija gave him three good ones and two bad ones for the season. The good ones are so good, they make you want to pick him up. I think he's teasing us.
- Lance Lynn ... wow. 5-0 with a 1.60 ERA and a 0.77 WHIP? Didn't see this coming.
- Tough night for the A's. OF Coco Crisp left the game with a sinus infection, and is probably headed for the DL. Catcher Kurt Suzuki was hit in the left hand by a pitch, and even though he finished the game, he'll have X-rays today.
- Braves OF Jason Heyward (oblique) had a pinch single last night, and hopes to return to the lineup today.
- Cory Luebke's sore elbow has landed him on the disabled list. Luebke is eligible to return on May 13, so starting him in your league next week will be risky.
- Cubs SP Ryan Dempster will be on the mound against the Reds today after a DL stint. There's no reason why you can't start him.
- The Rockies have sent struggling SP Jhoulys Chacin to the minors. I've been to the Triple-A park in Colorado Springs, and it's no place for a pitcher to work out his problems. I guess Denver isn't either, though.
- Dodgers 3B Juan Uribe could be headed to the DL with a wrist injury. We should know more today.
- The Twins are still hoping that 1B Justin Morneau (wrist) will be back in the lineup on Friday.
- Yankees 3B/DH Eric Chavez left Wednesday's game with whiplash and a possible concussion. Chavez's status is TBD.
- The Mariners might be considering some lineup changes.
- Rays OF B.J. Upton left Wednesday's game due to tightness in his right quad. It doesn't sound serious, but with the Rays playing this afternoon, make sure Upton is in the lineup before you start him.
- After a few days off, look for Josh Hamilton and Adrian Beltre to return to the Rangers' lineup on Friday.
- The Nationals hope to get 3B Ryan Zimmerman back on Tuesday.
- There are five afternoon games today, including a 12:10 p.m. ET Phillies-Braves start. Set your lineups early.
See you back here tomorrow morning.
Check out more Fantasy Baseball News and Notes.