Ouch, Phil Hughes. Your fantasy owners aren't going to forget that outing any time soon.
First pitch: The Mets and Cardinals kick off the National League schedule at 1:45 p.m. ET, while AL action begins at 7:05 with Mariners-Yankees.
Interleague DH issues: None.
Streaming starters: Mike Leake cruised through 6 2/3 shutout innings against the hapless Marlins to raise our record to 26-16 for the season. After the game, Dusty Baker seemed to indicate that Leake will keep his rotation slot when Johnny Cueto returns from the DL. Your move, Tony Cingrani.
Today's pick is Marlins' rookie Jose Fernandez (owned in 18.3 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) versus the Reds, while Friday's selection is the improving Ubaldo Jimenez (9 percent owned) against the Mariners. As I said to Ryan Fowler on Wednesday's Fantasy 15 podcast, I'm not yet sold on Ubaldo's recent success, but I'm willing to stream him in this spot.
On to the news:
- Rays SP David Price left his Wednesday start with a triceps strain, and even though the team said later that the MRI results didn't indicate anything serious, it's "probably unlikely" that he'll make his next start, per manager Joe Maddon. We might know today if Price needs a stint on the DL.
- You didn't cut Brandon League too quickly, right? He saved last night's game after Kenley Jansen set him up. What happens next? Heck if I know, but for the time being, both pitchers should be owned in just about every format. The Dodgers probably want League to keep the job, and he'll merely have to be adequate (instead of his current horrible) to do that.
- Nationals OF Bryce Harper, who is still sore after crashing into an outfield wall Monday night, pinch-hit Wednesday and might be able to play tonight. If you haven't seen the Monday play, here's the video. I feel pain just watching it.
- White Sox 2B Gordon Beckham (hand) is probably 10 days away from coming off the DL.
- Royals OF Jarrod Dyson sprained his ankle Wednesday, and his prognosis is TBD. He was just starting to play a lot, too.
- Rookie lefty John Gast has earned another start for the Cardinals.
- Felix Hernandez (back) is expected to make his next scheduled start.
- Brett Anderson's ankle acted up after a Sunday rehab start, and his return has been delayed.
- The Indians plan to activate RP Vinnie Pestano from the DL on Friday.
- Astros SP Bud Norris (back) is still a DL candidate - we'll know one way or the other before his scheduled Sunday start.
- Manny Machado is a stud.
- Signs point to Braves OF Jason Heyward being activated this weekend.
- Please visit my weekly chat session today at 2 p.m. ET. I know you don't have anything better to do.
See you back here tomorrow morning.