Two hundred and thirty seven years ago, our nation declared its independence. In the declaration, the Founding Fathers decreed that "all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Manny Ramirez." No, really. The Rangers signed him to a minor-league deal yesterday. Take that, England!
First pitch: The Brewers and Nats start the NL day at 11:05 a.m. ET, while the Red Sox at 1:35 are the first AL team to take the field. Ten of today's 15 games are day games, so set your lineups early.
Interleague DH issues: For the third straight day, the Padres, Cubs and Cardinals will add DHs in AL parks. None of these teams did anything exciting with the DH slot on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Streaming starters: Ross Detwiler wasn't quite good enough last night, so we're down to 50-32 for the season, and need to break this little slump. Today's selection is Dillon Gee (owned in 6.5 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the D-backs, while Friday's pick is fellow Met Zack Wheeler (22.4 percent owned) at Milwaukee. Wheeler has struggled a bit, but I think he'll be fine.
On to the news:
- Dodgers OF/superhero Yasiel Puig bruised his left hip while crashing into an outfield wall last night. The Dodgers are calling Puig day-to-day, and his daily league owners should have a backup plan ready today.
- Royals OF Alex Gordon suffered a "possible concussion and right hip contusion" while crashing into an outfield wall last night. Gordon seemed fine when he talked to reporters after the game, but we should know more about his status today. FANTASY NEWS Check out the latest
- The White Sox have placed 1B Paul Konerko (back) and RP Jesse Crain (shoulder) on the DL. Neither situation appears to be long-term.
- Yankees SS Eduardo Nunez hopes to rejoin the Yankees before the All-Star break, and could provide fantasy owners with a couple of speedy weeks before Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez return.
- Red Sox SP Clay Buchholz thinks he has "turned a corner" in his injury rehab. He's still probably looking at a post-All Star break return.
- Tom Wilhelmsen got the Mariners' save last night. His owners can exhale now.
- Cardinals OF Matt Holliday has missed two straight games due to a pinched nerve in his neck. He's day-to-day.
- The Nationals will get C Wilson Ramos back today. Ramos has been out since May 16 with a hamstring injury.
- The Tigers are planning to give Miguel Cabrera an off-day today. What odds can I get on a pinch-hit grand slam?
- Pirates SP A.J. Burnett (calf) hopes to come off the DL next week, and is trying to talk the Pirates out of a rehab assignment.
- The A's have pushed Jarrod Parker's next start to Saturday because of a hamstring issue, and will start Dan Straily tonight against the Cubs. That's a cushy spot for Straily.
- Twins OF Josh Willingham had knee surgery on Wednesday, and is expected to miss 4-6 weeks.
- Dodgers OF Carl Crawford is expected to come off the DL on Friday. In the short-term, don't freak out if Matt Kemp gets some days off as the Dodgers try to juggle four outfielders. Actually, make that three outfielders, since Puig's Roy Hobbs impression has made him rest-proof.
- Check out Hector Santiago's Wednesday start, AL-only and deep-mixed league owners. He's missing a lot of bats, and has a 3.50 ERA.
- The Diamondbacks have placed IF Willie Bloomquist (hand) on the DL.
fantasy baseball news
and advice on FOXSports.com!
See you back here tomorrow morning. Have a Happy Fourth of July, everyone!