Colleague Ryan Fowler covered the callups of OF phenoms Mike Trout and Bryce Harper on Friday night. As I noted in this week's edition of Free Agent Frenzy, I like Trout more than Harper for this season. Harper didn't hit much at Double A and Triple A, so why should we expect him to hit right away in the majors? He's 19, for crying out loud.
Streaming pitcher update: Edinson Volquez had a fine outing on Thursday in PETCO; Jake Arrieta didn't get it done on Friday against the A's; Erik Bedard continued his strong start on Saturday at Atlanta; and new blog favorite Chris Capuano dominated the Nats on Sunday. The picks are now 19-9 for the season, and today's selection is Mets' knuckleballer R.A. Dickey (owned in 8.9 percent of FOXSports.com leagues), who is a quality start machine.
On to the news:
- Rangers OF Josh Hamilton left Sunday's game due to back stiffness, and might miss some of the early-week series against the Blue Jays. In daily leagues, sit Hamilton until you know he's playing. If you're setting a weekly lineup, think about benching him if you have a strong alternative.
- Closer update #1: Kenley Jansen got Sunday's save for the Dodgers - his second of the weekend. After the game, manager Don Mattingly said that Javy Guerra is still the closer, but didn't exactly sound emphatic about it. Stay tuned.
- Closer update #2: Matt Thornton notched Sunday's save for the White Sox, but after the game, manager Robin Ventura seemed to say that Hector Santiago is still his closer. Again, stay tuned.
- Closer update #3: With Brad Lidge (abdominal strain) on the DL, Henry Rodriguez (52 percent owned) is the Nationals' closer. H-Rod blew a save on Saturday, but should be owned in all formats.
- Closer update #4: You probably heard that the Angels have replaced Jordan Walden with Scott Downs. You can pick up Downs for short-term saves, but this looks like a temporary change.
- Speaking of the Nats, Harper was promoted because 3B Ryan Zimmerman is on the DL. Zimmerman is eligible to return on May 6.
- Tigers OF Delmon Young is on the restricted list after being arrested Friday on a hate-crime harassment charge in New York. Young could return as soon as tonight. If the allegations are true, I hope he gets cut.
- Patrick Corbin (1.67 ERA in four Double-A starts this season) will make his first big-league start tonight for the Diamondbacks, replacing Josh Collmenter in the rotation. Corbin doesn't project to be a star, but he's not bad, and can be picked up in NL-only leagues. Trevor Bauer should now be next in line for the D-backs' rotation, in case you're wondering.
- Look for OF Johnny Damon to join the Indians on Tuesday. As noted previously in this space, Damon is likely to platoon in left field with Shelley Duncan. Why would you pick up a platoon player in a standard mixed league?
- Indians OF Shin-Soo Choo (hamstring) appears on track to return to the lineup on Tuesday after a five-game absence.
- Yankees OF Nick Swisher might go on the DL due to a hamstring strain. Even if Swisher stays active, you should bench him in weekly leagues.
- Rookie David Phelps will replace Freddy Garcia in the Yankee rotation, and start on Thursday in Kansas City. Don't expect too much from Phelps. He could be OK, but is no more than AL-only material.
- Slugger Brad Eldred is getting an opportunity as the Tigers' designated hitter. Eldred had 13 homers in 20 games at Triple A before his promotion, and has mashed home runs in the minors for a long time. He's also 31 years old, and racks up strikeouts by the boatload. I love when guys like this finally get a chance, but odds are long that Eldred will stick around. Grab him in your AL-only league if you can, but don't get too attached. Eldred qualifies at first base in FOXSports.com leagues.
- In other Tiger news, Doug Fister will make his next rehab start on Wednesday.
- Remember during the preseason, when we kept talking about how Dodgers SS Dee Gordon could make a huge fantasy speed impact IF he hit enough to keep his job? Gordon is tied for the major-league lead with 10 stolen bases, but he's batting .207 with a .494 OPS. If you own Gordon, you should have a free-agent replacement on your radar in case of a demotion. If the Dodgers weren't playing so well right now, Gordon might be in Triple A already. If the Dodgers drop him out of the leadoff spot into the No. 8 hole, it will impact his stolen-base opportunities.
- Royals OF Lorenzo Cain could miss another month - or more - due to a hip flexor strain. Speedy Jarrod Dyson is expected to play in Cain's absence, and though Dyson doesn't hit too well, he should steal plenty of bases. In related news, I'd like to officially declare my strategy of targeting Jason Bourgeois in AL-only leagues to be a bust.
- D-backs 1B Paul Goldschmidt appears to have fallen into a platoon with veteran Lyle Overbay. In other D-backs' news, the team will reportedly work out Vladimir Guerrero this week. Don't get too excited, as Vlad can't play the field anymore.
- The Mets are expected to activate Andres Torres from the DL today. Look for a Kirk Niewenhuis/Scott Hairston platoon in left field, at least until Jason Bay comes off the DL.
- The A's are about to sign Brandon Inge, who could become their starting third baseman. Inge qualifies at second base in some leagues after appearing in six games there this season. Check him out in AL-only leagues.
- With or without Aubrey Huff, the Giants still won't start Brandon Belt every day. It's a good thing they're such an offensive juggernaut.
- Look for Allen Craig to be activated from the DL and get regular at bats at first base for the Cardinals starting on Tuesday.
See you back here tomorrow morning.
Check out more Fantasy Baseball News and Notes.