Scheduling note: I'll be on the blogger disabled list Tuesday and Wednesday due a minor surgical procedure (fixing a deviated septum). You can try to tweet me during this brief hiatus if you have questions, but I might be groggy on Tuesday, and it's possible that I'll advise you to trade Miguel Cabrera for John Axford.
First pitch: The Mariners and Indians begin the American League day at 12:05 p.m. ET, while NL action starts at 7:05.
Interleague DH issues: The Twins visit the Braves, and while usual DH Ryan Doumit has outfield experience, he's only played there once this season.
Streaming starters: Ubaldo Jimenez was solid on Friday, Brandon McCarthy shut out the Marlins on Saturday, and Ricky Nolasco was terrific on Sunday. We're up to 30-16 for the season, and should plan to send Christmas cards to the Marlins' front office for making this job easier.
Today's pick is Atlanta's Julio Teheran (owned in 11.7 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the Twins, while Tuesday's selection is Jose Fernandez (22.4 percent owned) versus the Phillies. On Wednesday, we'll dip our toe in the water with the often-maddening Francisco Liriano (25.4 percent owned) against the Cubs.
On to the news:
- With Ian Kinsler on the DL, the Rangers have recalled blue-chip prospect Jurickson Profar from Triple A. Before you get too excited, check this Fort Worth Star-Telegram story, which notes that Profar might not play every day, and is expected to be sent back to the minors by June 1 (assuming that Kinsler's recovery goes as planned). Owners in most redraft leagues shouldn't get too excited about Profar right now, no matter how talented he is. However, you can pick him up for a week in deeper leagues if the alternatives are unexciting.
- Andrew Bailey comes off the DL today for the Red Sox, and is expected to close immediately (but maybe not pitch back-days right away). Start him if you have him.
- The always-helpful @CloserNews reminds us that Braves closer Craig Kimbrel and the Cardinals' duo of Ed Mujica/Trevor Rosenthal have pitched on three consecutive days, and might not be available tonight. The Cards did recall Mitchell Boggs over the weekend, you know.
- Bryce Harper didn't play Saturday or Sunday due to a leg injury, but the Nationals hope he'll be ready to go tonight.
- Tony Cingrani has been sent to the minors to make room in the Reds' rotation for Johnny Cueto, who starts tonight.
- Injured Phillies Ryan Howard (knee) and Carlos Ruiz (hamstring) will have MRIs today, and aren't expected to play tonight.
- It sounds like Cardinals SP Jaime Garcia (shoulder) might be done for the season.
- Barring a setback, Rangers C A.J. Pierzynski will be reactivated Tuesday. I'd feel OK about starting him in a weekly league.
- 2B Mark Ellis was back in the Dodger lineup Sunday after a three-week absence.
- Jake Odorizzi has been called up to take David Price's place in the Rays' rotation, and will start tonight in Toronto. It's hard to recommend Odorizzi in this spot.
- So, Ernesto Frieri walked three batters while saving Sunday's game? Bad control will eventually be Frieri's undoing, Ryan Madson owners.
- Matt Garza will make his 2013 debut on Tuesday for the Cubs. He's owned in 58.2 percent of FOXSports.com leagues, and is worth a look in all formats if you need to fill a spot.
See you back here Thursday morning.