"I still didn't want to believe that I had used a banned substance." Didn't want to believe? What does that even mean? Hey, Ryan Braun: Until you go to Dino Laurenzi's house, knock on his door and apologize in person, shut the $#@! up.
First pitch: 7:05 p.m. ET in both leagues.
Interleague DH issues: Look for Victor Martinez to get some time off this weekend when the Tigers face the Mets. With the Red Sox in L.A. to battle the Dodgers, David Ortiz could sit against lefties Saturday and/or Sunday.
Streaming starters: Jose Quintana's latest strong outing raised our record to 80-48 for the season. The weekend picks are Toronto's Todd Redmond (owned in 1.6 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) at Houston on Friday, Erasmo Ramirez (1 percent owned) versus the Angels on Saturday, and Andrew Cashner (13.2 percent owned) against the Cubs on Sunday.
On to the rest of the news:
- Word from Denver is that Rockies closer Rafael Betancourt has an elbow injury that might require Tommy John surgery. Enter Rex Brothers (owned in 8.2 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) to reclaim the closer's role. Grab Brothers immediately if you can.
- Giants SP Matt Cain left Thursday's game after getting hit in the forearm by a line drive. Cain only suffered a bruise, but he's doubtful for his next start, according to the team's website.
- Braves SP Brandon Beachy will visit Dr. James Andrews for a checkup on Monday after an unexplained velocity drop in his last start. Stay tuned.
- The catching-starved A's have re-acquired Kurt Suzuki. Remember when Suzuki used to be able to hit? He can't anymore.
- The Phillies seem pretty sure that Ryan Howard won't play again this season.
- Pirates closer Jason Grilli threw a bullpen session yesterday and hopes to be "game ready" by the end of this month. That sounds optimistic, but things could be a lot worse.
- See you next year, Jonathan Broxton.
- Astros C Max Stassi returned to Houston on Thursday to undergo concussion tests. His status is TBD.
- Twins OF Oswaldo Arcia (wrist) is hoping to avoid the DL, but we should know more today or tomorrow.
- The Yankees are hoping to activate SS Derek Jeter as soon as Saturday.
- Here's the latest on Ed Mujica's sore lat muscle. There's no structural damage, but it sounds like this guy needs a rest.
See you back here Monday morning.