The Yankee catchers (Francisco Cervelli, Chris Stewart) are batting a combined .288 with four home runs, nine RBI and 16 runs scored. I didn't think they'd reach the last three numbers until the All-Star break.
First pitch: There are 7:05 p.m. ET starts in both leagues on Friday. Also, please note that Saturday's MLB ON FOX coverage begins at 12:30, with Braves-Tigers, Phillies-Mets and Reds-Nationals on the schedule.
Interleague DH issues: The Braves will add the extra hitter in Detroit, facing all righties this weekend. Figure on Evan Gattis getting a day off behind the plate, and Juan Francisco getting an appearance or two in the DH slot.
Streaming starters: Edwin Jackson's mediocrity didn't earn a Fantasy Quality Start last night, so we're down to 13-9 for the season. The weekend selections are Tampa Bay's Roberto Hernandez (owned in 1.1 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the White Sox, Boston's Felix Doubront (5.3 percent owned) versus the Astros on Saturday, and Miami's Ricky Nolasco (1.7 percent owned) against the Cubs on Sunday.
On the Doubront pick: He's got 21 strikeouts in 16 2/3 innings so far. The Astros have whiffed 218 times - 24 more than any other team - in 22 games. Good match, right?
On to the news:
- Phillies catcher Carlos Ruiz is on track to return from his 25-game PED suspension on Sunday. Ruiz is owned in just 21.1 percent of FOXSports.com leagues, and while he probably won't hit 16 home runs again, he's a solid BA guy who is in the low-end No. 1 fantasy catcher discussion in mixed leagues. As your backup, he'll be pretty good.
- Ruiz's teammate, OF Ben Revere, might miss one more game with a sore quad.
- After missing a few weeks with neck issues, Mets SP Shaun Marcum (29.5 percent owned) will make his first start of the season on Saturday. Marcum will never be your staff anchor, but has a 3.76 career ERA, 1.22 WHIP and a slightly above average K rate. You could do worse when searching for a free agent starter.
- The Red Sox called up Ryan Lavarnway? YES! I love that guy. What's that? He's probably heading back to the minors when John Lackey gets activated? Bummer.
- Carlos Marmol got last night's save for the Cubs, giving up a hit and a walk but no runs. That's progress, I guess. This is still a committee situation, so don't get too excited.
- According to the Denver Post, Jordan Pacheco will "likely get the bulk of the playing time at first base" while Todd Helton (forearm) is on the DL.
- The Dodgers plan to juggle starts at third base between Jerry Hairston Jr., Nick Punto and Juan Uribe.
- In weekly leagues, watch the news over the weekend to see if you can activate Michael Bourn next week. He was scheduled to have his stitches removed yesterday, and can be activated Tuesday.
- Angels SS Erick Aybar might be back from the DL this weekend.
- Look for A's OF Yoenis Cespedes to be activated on Sunday.
- Don't get too excited yet about the Padres' promotion of lefty prospect Robbie Erlin, since he's ticketed for bullpen work in the short-term.
- Look for Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos to come off the DL on Monday, with 3B Ryan Zimmerman following him next Friday.
- Adam Dunn hit a homer last night, and raised his batting average to .108. Nice!
See you back here Monday morning.