Some people have criticized the Yankees this season for being over-reliant on the home run. I wonder what those people thought of the Orioles HITTING SIX HOMERS en route to beating the Yanks, 10-6, last night and moving into a first-place tie in the American League East. Because, as we all know, laying down six sacrifice bunts would be a much better way to score 10 runs.
Our pal Marco Estrada didn't help much yesterday, so the streaming starter record is down to 90-55 for the season. The weekend selections are Homer Bailey (owned in 17.7 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) today, fellow Red Bronson Arroyo (21.6 percent owned) on Saturday, and Padres' rookie Andrew Werner (0.2 percent owned) against the Diamondbacks on Sunday. With the Reds playing the Astros this weekend, the Friday/Saturday picks seem like no-brainers. Werner has had three really good starts for the Pads since coming up from the minors.
On to the news:
- Why are we leading off today's post with Pirates 2B Neil Walker? Because he's been one of fantasy's top-10 second basemen this season, and hasn't played for almost two weeks because of back issues. Walker isn't expected to play this weekend, but the Bucs hope to have him back on Monday.
- The Yankees hope to have 1B Mark Teixeira (calf) back in the lineup tonight. In other Yankee overpaid player injury news, Joel Sherman of the New York Post wondered last night if Alex Rodriguez is having some leg issues. That was no more than speculation, but let's keep an eye on A-Rod.
- Best wishes to A's SP Brandon McCarthy, who had surgery Wednesday to relieve issues related to a skull fracture. Send McCarthy a get well tweet to @BMccarthy32.
- Reminder: Angels SP Jered Weaver will not start tonight against the Tigers because of a bruised shoulder (Ervin Santana takes Weaver's place). Look for news on Weaver's next start to be announced sometime this weekend.
- Not a bad return-from-the-DL start for Jason Hammel last night, huh? Hammel is available in 54.1 percent of FOXSports.com leagues.
- Stephen Strasburg starts tonight against the Marlins. After that, he takes the hill next Wednesday, and then again on Opening Day 2013. The Nationals aren't sure when John Lannan will replace Strasburg in their rotation.
- Look for rookie Chris Archer (3.66 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, 139 K in 128 IP at Triple A) to make a spot start for the Rays sometime in the next week. He can be an AL-only consideration.
- Forget six-man rotations. The Mariners will use a seven-man rotation between now and the end of the season. Details are in this Tacoma News Tribune article. No, this doesn't mean Felix Hernandez will get skipped.
- Brewers 3B Aramis Ramirez missed Thursday's game due to a back strain, and is day-to-day.
- You know how we like the phrase "water reaches its level" around here? Orioles' 1B Mark Reynolds has eight homers in his last seven games, and is up to 20 for the season. Sure, we entered the season expecting a total in the 30s, but he's getting closer. Reynolds is available in 51.7 percent of FOXSports.com leagues.
- It's never too early to scout for the future, right? Check out MLB.com's revised Top 100 prospects list.
See you back here Monday morning.