If Yu Darvish gave up five runs to the Mariners, that translates to about 15 against anyone else, right?
Chris Sale's strong start improved our streaming pitcher record to 4-1. Today's selection is San Diego's Edinson Volquez (owned in 3.5 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the Diamondbacks. Volquez walked four batters over five innings in his first start of the season, and that's not good. But he also struck out seven, and home games in PETCO Park are tempting.
On to the news:
- Nationals closer Drew Storen is headed to visit Dr. James Andrews after experiencing elbow soreness on Sunday, and the Washington Post notes that Storen "could miss at least half the season" if bone chips are found (this doesn't appear to be a Tommy John situation). We'll track Storen's progress, but the Nats' website says that Brad Lidge and Henry Rodriguez will continue to split closer duties in Storen's absence. Rodriguez can bring the heat with the best of them, but his control is probably even worse than Lidge's, and that's no small feat.
- Marlins OF Giancarlo Stanton was scratched Monday due to left knee pain, and is day-to-day.
- Red Sox GM Ben Cherington says that Daniel Bard will not get moved into the closer's role anytime soon. Bard is scheduled to make his first start of the season tonight.
- Alex Rodriguez got last night off, because even when you're making $29 million for a season, it's hard to play more than three days in a row. Thank goodness there are only six years remaining on A-Rod's contract.
- Braves 3B Chipper Jones is expected to come off the DL and return to the lineup tonight.
- I'll be in the FOXSports.com fantasy chat room today at 2 p.m. ET. Send some questions!
- Remember that great spring Brian Matusz had? It didn't carry over to last night's start.
- Reds 2B Brandon Phillips left last night's game with a cramp in his left hamstring, and will probably rest tonight.
- Astros SS Jed Lowrie (thumb) is expected to come off the DL on Friday.
- Crafty lefty Tom Milone tossed eight shutout innings in his A's debut last night. Remember when Cleveland's Josh Tomlin was better than expected last season because he hardly ever walked anyone? Milone has the same kind of control.
- Angels OF Vernon Wells got last night off after going one-for-14 in his first three games. In related news, big-time Angels prospect Mike Trout is 10-for-20 with a homer, two stolen bases and a 1.242 OPS through his first five games at Triple A. Did I add this note to today's blog because I own Trout in multiple leagues? Absolutely, but it's a situation that bears watching.
- Look for Mets 1B Ike Davis to take tonight off.
- To make room for 1B Daric Barton on the roster, the A's designated Brandon Allen for assignment.
- The Giants gave 1B Brandon Belt a night off on Monday, but he should be back in the lineup tomorrow. Do you trust the Giants to play Belt almost every day? Me neither.
- Neftali Feliz makes his first major league start tonight for the Rangers.
- Rays OF B.J. Upton is targeting a return during the team's April 20-22 series against the Twins.
See you back here tomorrow morning.