Sounds like a bunch of minor trades were made after I went to bed: Geovany Soto to the Rangers, Paul Maholm to the Braves, Brandon League to the Dodgers and Travis Snider to the Pirates. I'll post analysis on them a little later this morning, and we'll cover the fantasy impact of all relevant trades today at our trade deadline tracker. The deadline is at 4 p.m. ET, and I'm betting the biggest name dealt will be Jonathan Broxton. If I think like that, I can't be disappointed, right?
Another solid start from Oakland's A.J. Griffin raised our streaming starter record to 64-42. Today's pick is Homer Bailey (34.6 percent owned) against the Padres, while Wednesday's selection is the unstoppable and under appreciated Mike Fiers (30.8 percent owned) versus the Astros. Fiers has a 1.80 ERA with a strikeout per inning over 10 starts.
On to the news:
- Yankees 1B Mark Teixeira left Monday's game after aggravating a left wrist injury. He'll have an MRI today, and isn't expected to play tonight. Keep your fingers crossed.
- It looks like Angels SP Dan Haren will miss his Wednesday start. Haren is feeling pain in his right side that's apparently related to his recent back issues, but the Angels don't sound too worried. Garrett Richards figures to make the start if Haren can't go.
- In other Angels' news, OF Mark Trumbo expects to play tonight after missing Monday's game due to back spasms.
- Reds 1B Joey Votto was back on the field for a Monday workout, but doesn't have a timetable for his return. Sorry for the non-update.
- Remember when the Red Sox said David Ortiz would be back in the lineup on Wednesday? Now, they're saying he probably won't. It doesn't sound like he's far away, though.
- Look for Nationals OF Jayson Werth (wrist) to come off the DL later this week.
- Brewers OF Ryan Braun missed Monday's game due to blisters on his left hand, but expects to play tonight.
- Blue Jays 1B Adam Lind is on the DL with back issues that "may or may not have to do with physical conditioning," according to the Toronto Star. Ouch.
- 1B Mitch Moreland returned to the Rangers' lineup on Monday after missing a month with a hamstring injury. The aforementioned Geovany Soto could present a threat to Moreland's playing time.
- Padres C Yasmani Grandal left Monday's game after straining an oblique muscle, and we should know more about his status today. It's a little known fact that the word oblique is Latin for "one month on the DL."
- Light-hitting catcher Hector Sanchez should come off the DL for the Giants on Thursday. That normal wouldn't be news, but the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the Giants might start Sanchez behind the plate and move Buster Posey to first base during Pablo Sandoval's absence.
- The A's sent rookie backstop Derek Norris to the minors to make room on the roster for new acquisition George Kottaras, who will be the lefty half of a platoon with Kurt Suzuki. AL-only owners should try to grab Kottaras, who offers some power with a bad BA.
- Mets closer Frank Francisco hopes to come off the DL on Friday.
- The Marlins are moving Carlos Zambrano to the bullpen, and might start recent arrival Jacob Turner on Friday.
- Cubs SP Matt Garza had a strong bullpen session on Monday, and could start for someone (probably the Cubs) later this week.
- Orioles 2B Robert Andino appears ready to come off the DL today.
- I'll be in the FOXSports.com fantasy chat room today at 2 p.m. ET. Make sure to stop by!
See you back here tomorrow morning.