After last night's gem, Felix Hernandez is 9-0 with a 1.40 ERA and five shutouts over his last 14 starts. There's not much more fun for a fantasy owner than owning a guy during a stretch like this. I still think about the joy of owning Bret Saberhagen in 1989, but I'm a little weird that way.
Brett Anderson was very impressive again last night, raising our streaming starter record to 82-53 for the season. Today's pick is Chris Tillman (owned in 9.1 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the White Sox, while Wednesday's selection is Mets rookie Matt Harvey (17.1 percent owned) at Philly.
On to the news:
- Yankees 1B Mark Teixeira will probably miss the rest of this week - and possibly two weeks - due to a calf strain. Look for some combo of Eric Chavez, Casey McGehee and Jayson Nix to handle the Yankee corners while Teixeira and Alex Rodriguez remain out. As a Yankee fan, this terrifies me.
- Pirates 2B Neil Walker was scratched Monday with lower back tightness, but it doesn't sound serious.
- Gavin Floyd's strained elbow will cause him to miss his next start, but isn't expected to land him on the DL. He'll be mediocre no matter when he pitches again.
- How the mighty have fallen: Lance Lynn made his first relief appearance of the season last night.
- Indians SP Roberto Hernandez (formerly Fausto Carmona) left his Monday start in the third inning because of a sprained ankle, and is day-to-day. How long will I have to type "formerly Fausto Carmona" after his name?
- Dice-K! What's that? Yeah, I'm not fooled, either.
- I'll make my weekly appearance in the FOXSports.com chat room today at 2 p.m. ET. Stop by with your questions!
- Have you been tracking the rebirth of OF Nate McLouth in Baltimore? After last night's homer, McLouth has two homers, 10 runs, eight RBI and four stolen bases in 13 games since August 12. He's available in 99.9 percent of FOXSports.com leagues, and is certainly worth your AL-only consideration.
- Dexter Fowler's ankle kept him from playing the field again last night, and could continue to do so for a couple more days.
- The Astros have called up Jimmy Paredes to be their everyday right fielder. Paredes batted .318 with 13 homers and 37 stolen bases at Triple A this season, and we can appreciate those numbers even if he needs to walk more. Deep mixed leaguers who can't find a spot for Paredes aren't trying hard enough.
- Mets 2B Daniel Murphy, who injured his shoulder on Sunday, is expected to play tonight.
- Travis Blackley will make a spot start for the A's on Wednesday, but I still think rookie Dan Straily will rejoin the rotation after returning from the minors sometime after Thursday.
- The Pirates released Erik Bedard, after he went through almost a whole season without going on the DL. I think I can finally quit Bedard now. I haven't owned him for a few months, thanks to a 12-step program.
- That was a nice big league debut, Casey Kelly. Isn't it great to pitch at PETCO Park?
- In other Padres' news, closer Huston Street is likely to make some rehab appearances this week. He should be ready to help you for most of September.
See you back here tomorrow morning.