After just three A-ball appearances, Jose Valverde has been called up and installed as the Tigers' closer. Will Valverde be any good? Heck if I know. He was pretty mediocre last season, and we really don't have much evidence of a rebound (or lack of one) so far in 2013. But if a manager says someone is his closer, then he's worth picking up, and Valverde is currently available in 95.1 percent of FOXSports.com leagues.
With that said, at least half the teams in the majors have closers who appear at risk of losing their jobs at some point, and Valverde is on the risky end of that spectrum. This is how you play the wire for closers - grab guys hoping to catch lightning in a bottle, and move on if things don't work out. Valverde might get 30 saves, or he might implode quickly. I'll be keeping an eye on rookie Bruce Rondon - who also got called up on Tuesday - and my man Al Alburquerque. It's pretty clear that the Tigers don't want Joaquin Benoit to close, right?
Who's off: Twins, Marlins
First pitch: There are 12:35 p.m. starts in both leagues, and eight afternoon games overall. Set your lineups early!
Interleague DH issues: None
Streaming starters: A nice job by Carlos Villanueva raised our streaming starter record to 12-8 for the season. Today's pick is Houston's Lucas Harrell (owned in 1 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) at home against the Mariners, while Thursday's selection is the wild and somewhat unlucky Edwin Jackson (6.1 percent owned) versus our friendly neighborhood Marlins.
On to the news:
- Reds rookie Tony Cingrani pitched another good game last night, and owns a 2.25 ERA with 17 strikeouts against three walks in 12 innings. That's pretty good, but remember that Cingrani's two starts have been against the horrible Cubs and the horrendous Marlins, and temper your expectations. He gets the Nats on Sunday. FANTASY NEWS Check out the latest
- Mets SP Jon Niese left Tuesday's game after getting hit in the leg by a comebacker. X-rays were negative, and Niese seems to think he'll make his next start. Stay tuned.
- Astros OF Justin Maxwell has been placed on the DL with a fractured bone in his left hand (he got hit by a pitch last night). The Houston Chronicle reports that Brandon Barnes figures to assume most of Maxwell's playing time in center field, and he's worth a pickup in AL-only leagues. Barnes had 13 homers and 22 stolen bases between the minors and majors last season.
- Braves OF Justin Upton hit his 11th home run of the season in the second game of last night's doubleheader. If you own Upton, be bold, and explore the trade market for him now. You might get an offer you can't refuse.
- Best thing about the Cubs-Reds game? Carlos Marmol blew the save (he walked two, predictably) in the ninth inning, and Kevin Gregg got the save in the 10th. The Cubs say they'll use matchups in the ninth for now, and even though Kyuji Fujikawa will probably get the job when he comes off the DL, I wouldn't blame you if you took a flier on Gregg.
- Kevin Youkilis (back) hopes to be back in the Yankee lineup tonight, but Thursday looks more likely. Teammate Mark Teixeira (wrist) won't be ready to come off the DL on May 1 as hoped, but could still return later in the month.
- What are the three scariest words that can appear in an article about a pitcher? DOCTOR JAMES ANDREWS. Orioles prospect Dylan Bundy got a second opinion from Dr. Andrews on Tuesday regarding his nagging forearm soreness, and let's hope the news is good.
- John Lackey is on target to come off the DL and pitch Sunday for the Red Sox.
- As feared, Dodgers SP Chad Billingsley will have Tommy John surgery. We'll see him again sometime in 2014.
- The Cardinals are trying to keep 1B Matt Adams (oblique) off the DL, but don't expect to see him play until at least Friday.
- If you missed Tuesday's edition of the Fantasy 15 podcast, Ryan Fowler and I talked about Adam Dunn, Matt Cain and speedy Jean Segura, who has now stolen bases in five consecutive games. Subscribe to the Fantasy 15 now on iTunes!
- Finally, I'll be on Rotowire's SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio show (Sirius channel 210, XM channel 87) today at 11:40 a.m. ET. Listen if you can.
fantasy baseball news
and advice on FOXSports.com!
See you back here tomorrow morning.