I've been telling you all year, Bobby Valentine. If you talk that much, you're eventually going to say something stupid. It doesn't matter if you're kidding - you'll look bad, anyway.
Mike Minor's oustanding start (he's had a lot of those lately) raised our streaming starter record to 90-54 for the season. Today's pick is Milwaukee's Marco Estrada (owned in 8.8 percent of FOXSports.com leagues), while Friday's selection is Homer Bailey (15 percent owned) against the terrible Astros. Every day, the first thing I do before picking a streaming starter is to see who's pitching against the 'Stros.
On to the news:
- Angels' ace Jered Weaver will almost certainly miss his Friday start due to a bruised pitching shoulder, and it's not yet clear when he'll pitch again (hopefully early next week). Ervin Santana is expected to start in Weaver's place against the Tigers.
- A's SP Brandon McCarthy spent the night in a Seattle hospital after getting hit in the head by a line drive on Wednesday. McCarthy was reportedly "conscious and doing well" last night, but there's no word yet on how much time he's expected to miss.
- Today's five-game schedule includes a pair of afternoon starts: Rockies-Braves at 12:10 p.m. ET, and Brewers-Marlins at 12:40. Set your lineups accordingly.
- Rookie southpaw Tommy Layne got Wednesday's save for the Padres, but don't read too much into it. Luke Gregerson hit Shane Victorino with two outs, and Layne was summoned to face lefthanded slugger Adrian Gonzalez.
- Speaking of the Padres, Andrew Cashner will return to the mound on Friday after missing two months with a shoulder injury. I often like to recommend starters at PETCO Park, but Cashner will reportedly be limited to five innings and/or 70 pitches, so he's a risky proposition.
- The Toronto Star reports that a rehabbing Blue Jays 3B Brett Lawrie (oblique) is "close to returning." The guess here is that we won't see him in Toronto until at least early next week.
- Pirates OF Starling Marte (oblique) began a minor-league rehab assignment last night, and could be back very soon.
- Mike Napoli's rehab from a quad injury is progressing slowly, but there's no timetable yet for his return.
- Cardinals' rookie Shelby Miller whiffed four batters over two relief innings in his big league debut yesterday. Don't look for him to start anytime soon, though.
- Look for underrated Mariners OF Michael Saunders (groin) to return to the lineup on Friday. He's been out since August 31.
- Twins OF Josh Willingham was relegated to pinch-hitting duty yesterday due to a hamstring injury. He hopes to play on Friday.
- Don't you need to be better than Chris Perez to say stuff like this?
- Astros 2B Scott Moore will probably miss a few days due to a strained groin suffered on Wednesday.
- Joey Votto was two-for-three with a walk in his return to the Reds' lineup on Wednesday. Todd Frazier played third base, and Scott Rolen was on the bench. Look for some sort of Votto/Frazier/Rolen/Ryan Ludwick rotation over the next few weeks. The Reds have a big lead in the National League Central, so they can afford to rest people.
See you back here tomorrow morning with a football post by 8 a.m. ET, and a baseball entry by 11.