Welcome to my first fantasy football blog entry of the season. I'll post here every Tuesday and Friday morning by 8 a.m. ET until your fantasy title is in the bag, so make sure you're a regular visitor, OK?
On to the news:
- Though an official announcement has not been made, the New York Post reports that "it is clear" Geno Smith will start in Week 1 over the injured Mark Sanchez, and FOXSports.com's Peter Schrager calls Smith the "likely" starter. It's not like you had any plans to start Smitn or Sanchez, but you might be interested in the Bucs' DST, which is owned in just 12.5 percent of FOXSports.com leagues. I grabbed the Bucs for my Week 1 FOX Sports Experts League matchup against Schrager, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is. Smith isn't ready to play effectively, and Bucs expect to have CB Darrelle Revis on the field.
- The Boston Herald suggests that Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski could be active as soon as Week 2, but notes that timetable "sounds overly optimistic." Whenever the Pats decide that Gronk is ready, they probably won't give us much notice.
- It sounds like Terrelle Pryor (owned in 2.8 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) will be the Raiders' starting QB in Week 1. Pryor's running skills might help his fantasy stats, but I'd have a hard time considering him even in a two-QB league. I could consider the Colts' DST (3.2 percent owned) as a matchup play, though. The Raiders are widely considered to be the NFL's worst team.
- Colts' beat writer Phillip B. Wilson of the Indianapolis Star thinks that RB Ahmad Bradshaw will get most of the carries on Sunday, despite missing the preseason due to a foot injury. Remember the thing about the Raiders being so terrible? Bradshaw should have a nice day against them.
- In other Colts' news, TEs Coby Fleener (knee) and Dwayne Allen (foot) both practiced Monday, and should be ready to go on Sunday.
- The Redskins have announced that QB Robert Griffin III will start in Week 1. No surprise there.
- Broncos CB Champ Bailey (foot) sounds like a gametime decision for Thursday's game against the Ravens. Owners of Torrey Smith and Joe Flacco might want to watch this situation, though Smith should be a fantasy starter regardless of Bailey's status.
- RB Rashard Mendenhall (knee) is likely to play for the Cardinals on Sunday, but TE Rob Housler (ankle) might have to wait another week.
- Ronnie Hillman is atop the Broncos' depth chart at running back, with Montee Ball second and Knowshon Moreno third. Also, the team keeps using the word "committee" when talking about its stable of backs. With that said, I'm still planning to start Ball in a couple of leagues this week; I like him to outperform Hillman. However, if Ball misses one block that results in a sack of Peyton Manning, he might get benched until 2022.
- With Steelers RB Isaac Redman preparing as the Week 1 starter, rookie teammate Le'Veon Bell thinks he might be back as soon as Week 2. That timetable sounds aggressive, but stay tuned.
- Bills QB E.J. Manuel (knee) practiced fully on Monday, and is looking good for Week 1. Let's see how much he practices on Wednesday.
- Titans WR Kendall Wright (knee) is expected to play this week after missing most of the preseason. I feel like everyone forgot that Wright caught 64 passes last season.
- Jets WR Santonio Holmes (foot) is looking good for Week 1. Someone has to catch passes for the Jets, even with Bucs CB Darrelle Revis likely to play ... right?
- Giants DE Jason Pierre-Paul (back) seems to be a shaky Week 1 option, as his conditioning is an issue after missing the entire preseason. I have a feeling that Tony Romo is going to carve up my G-Men.
- The Browns still haven't settled on their kicker.
- Lions WR Ryan Broyles, who spent the offseason recovering from knee surgery, isn't a lock to begin the season as a starter. Those of you who were excited about drafting Broyles in the late rounds should keep him on the bench until we see some production.
- Its official: Lamar Miller is the Dolphins' starter at running back.
- The Jaguars are optimistic that QB Blaine Gabbert (thumb) will play this week.
- The initial FOXSports.com Week 1 positional rankings are here. They'll be revised on Friday as news warrants.
- Joel Beall will be in the FOXSports.com fantasy chat room today at 3 p.m. ET. Send him your questions!
See you back here later today with a baseball post, and on Friday with a new football entry.